Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 02-18-2009, 02:20 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: INTERNET BRANDS Please clarify Terms of Service

I'm not sure of the history, not having paid much attention to it, but could it be agrued that the vast majority of images (uploaded pre-Terms of Use) have already been SOLD TO Internet Brands by the previous site owner(s), prior to the TOU being in existance, without permission or consultation?
After all, the site is worthless without the images. I don't remember seeing resale rights in the original TOS.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:55 PM
TE Expert

I've come a little late to this convoluted discussion and I am certainly no expert on the legal niceties and phraseology of these issues - however I do think it important to:

1. emphasise the importance - as others have done about the service we expect - and continued dialogue and response is really important
2. that as photographer's we have legitimate concerns which need to be addressed even if a large majority of people may not give a hoot - but as others have said for the more serious photographers there is a hair's breadth gap here before leaving this site to its own demise

however in my work I have had recourse to talk to one of the UK's leading copyright experts on a matter affecting one of our artists and at least in respect of the UK i am less concerned than I might have been - on the other hand if indeed IB are covering a dishevelled retreat from a perceived commercial advantage in using images from this site then they still have a case to answer for.

I am fully in support of the questions being asked of them by others in this forum and at least the beginnings of a clearer understanding of what these terms mean was welcome - however from the more recent posts it appears this was all too little too late and there are still important questions to be answered.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:04 PM
TE Expert

That's my point above Dougie - I don't think it can refer to the re-sale of individual images - but I may be wrong - and as you said all images here present at that time have been sold without due consultation already.

I don't see what problem IB could have with user representation of these issues unless there is something duplicitous or there attention is only minimally involved with the concerns of people here.

That's why i welcome some response - but as others have said let's see some clear and timely action.

bw Kev
Old 02-18-2009, 09:21 PM
TE Junior Member

Please see the announcement in "announcements" and check our revised TOU. Thanks again for your patience and I'm sorry this created a ripple of worry here in the community.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:50 PM
TE Senior Member

Justine, I see that this still includes "adaptation" right - could you please explain why this is necessary.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:01 PM
TE Junior Member

I answered this on another thread, I believe...

But yes, good question. I had to go to the Legal Department to understand this, too.

"Adaptation" rights simply means that we have the right to be showing your photos/posts on the site. It's the essential agreement between you and IB that IB has the right to display what you submit. So without that piece, the Trek sites couldn't exist.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:46 PM
TE Senior Member

Sorry to be a pain - but that is not what "adaptation" means, as I said in the previous post(s). cheers, Steve
Old 02-19-2009, 02:17 AM
TE Expert

You also grant us global nonexclusive adaptation rights over any content and material submitted to the Site
could become
You also grant us global nonexclusive rights to remove any non-conform content and material submitted to the Site

IB should be aware that they own nothing from what is submitted to the site by members and as thus that they never can claim any adaptation nor from a submitted photo nor from even one letter from a submitted text by a member unless the explicit authorization from that member.
Any adaptation of member's submission would be a copyright violation own solemnly by this member,
even any removal could be still subject of copyright violation if it is not explicit non-conform to the site.

Please do your homework right this time,
till now you still get a 4 on 10,
sloppy work is intolerable when it handles some else's property,
know what is yours and respect what doesn't belong to you !

And please don't delay till someone has to kick your arse again, in this matter stubbornness is simply malicious and not appreciated at all ! You proved you can, so do it right this time and make everybody happy again.

BTW adaptation of a comment is a right of the owner that you deny,
please re-adjust this again,
abuses of comments still can be removed as mentionned above.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:49 AM
TE Expert

"BTW adaptation of a comment is a right of the owner that you deny,
please re-adjust this again,
Abuses of comments still can be removed as mentioned above."

Bingo !!!!
Right on the nose !

Removing the editing feature and points correction to our very own critiques and comments was one of the unwise, not fully thought of decisions by administration.

Once in a while, out of blues skies - someone had changed his positive critique into a negative one or vice verse and add or removed the green or yellow monkie ?

Big deal...!

It wasn't epidemic or something the majority of the critics was affected by...
It was something like between the two members silly quarrel rather and usually lasted very short life...

Taking out the rights of editing the words and point decisions from seventy thousand +++ people looks more like punishing those members who don't even know why it was taken from them ???
And - I emphasize the word 'punishing' all right...

Shall I explain why I, Polonaise - do emphasize the word 'punishing' ?

:-)))

breathe deeply

g
Old 02-19-2009, 04:47 AM
TE Expert

PS
try your global nonexclusive adaptation rights on advertisements once shown exhuberant when not logged in ...

as well you could put a logo-gif (Copyright © 2009 TrekEarth)over all the photos when not logged in,
to mention that TE is not a free image tank nor a photo creative common site,
that CC-status can be mentionned by the owner himself with his photos.

no need to pamper members, many have the age of your father, just make things right for once.