To singuanti: AF-S - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great singuanti 2007-09-21 18:55

Hi JP. The way you used the portrait orientation made a lot of sense given the fact that it's such a massively tall mountain. Although I'm surprised that you used that lens for a landscape like this. I think I asked before but do you still like the lens? I am hoping they add AF-S to it someday soon. Beautiful landscape shot JP!

Old 09-22-2007, 05:57 AM
TE Expert

Default To singuanti: AF-S

Yes the default of the lens is it's slow. As low as our Tokina 12-24 but with a range ration of 5 (against 2 for the Tokina) it appear really slow. The slowness is no important for landscape or safari, but it is important for sport. It's NOT a lens for sport. For this activity you have to go to the AF-S 70-200 with 2x converter or best the expensive AF-S 200-400. The 80-400 should be amazing with AF-S but heaviest.
I bought this lens as a second hand lens for the low price of 800€ (Nikon price 1890€, street price 1600€ in France) so for this price it's really a good lens.
Thanks for passing by.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:02 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: To singuanti: AF-S

JP,
Hi thanks for letting me know what you thought about the lens. My 70-300 AS-S VR focuses quickly but it's not that bright since it stars around f 4.5 I think. But in the daytime it would be great for sports. I used it to capture a lot of wildlife on my vacation and when I opened up the lens I could get some fast shutter speeds to capture the moment.

Steve