Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great happypoppeye 2007-06-30 12:16

Great colorful portrait Rich. Great smile on the woman. A really "cluttered" background with alot going on but it works great with the main subject. Good DOF to isolate the woman enough to make it work. Great colors. Really good daily life photo. You really have a way of "making" a good photo out of what look like difficult conditions. You really work wonders with that 28-135. Really nice work. I had a chance to go to the Camel Fair three years ago but didn't make it. One day though...

Great work.
John

Old 07-02-2007, 10:09 PM
TE Newbie

Default To happypoppeye: Thanks...

Hi John,

Thanks for your recent critiques, much appreciated as always.

Regarding the 28-135mm lens: I have to say I do love it. I had a Canon 18-55mm lens with the camera and bought a Canon 75-300mm lens separately so even though I didn't like results much from the 18-55mm lens I was still in two minds as to whether I should ditch it and buy this one or whether my money would be better spent elsewhere. In the end though I went for it and definately think it was one of my better decisions. I think 90% of my shots are taken with this lens and the clarity and sharpness andso much nicer. There's a real crispness to photos with this lens when you get it right which I just couldn't get with the 18-55mm bundle pack lens.

I'll have a look through your gallery this week I promise but it's getting late here now and I need to get some sleep!

Cheers,

Rich
Old 07-03-2007, 08:27 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To happypoppeye: Thanks...

Rich,

Don't worry about looking at my pics. I know how "exchanging critiques" can become a full time job and make the ite a little less fun. Plus, I really haven't posted many - too busy.

I noticed that you were using the 28-135 for most of your shots. I'm doing my own round the worlder in a couple of months and am trying to decide about the camera thing. The D40 and 18-200 VR was a joy to use in China and HK but looking if I can get any better IQ for the same size and weight. Probably not.

I think mine is going to be a little different than yours though. So far:

Turkey, Syria, Jordan, Egypt, Sudan, Ethiopia, Cameroon, Nigeria, Ghana, Togo, Benin, Burkino Faso, Mali, Senegal than a week in Sierra Leone from Dakar. Two weeks in Niger again from Dakar (camel trek into the Air Mts. where size and weight are a major, major, major issue). Using Dakar as a home base for those two. Than five weeks of R&R on the beaches of Mozambique and Zanzibar.....ahhhhhhh

Anyway,
Thanks for the reply and don't worry about my pics
John
Old 07-03-2007, 08:41 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To happypoppeye: Thanks...

Hi John,

Wow, that sounds like it's going to be some trip, I'm deeply envious! There's a few countries in there that I'd love to visit sometime, most notably Syria and Jordan in the Middle East and Ghana and Mali in Africa. Also, love to go to Zanzibar - what a great place to end your journey and relax for a while. Not sure I'd be too keen on visiting Nigeria - whether it's reputation is justified or not I'm not knowledgeable enough to know, but it certainly seems to get more than it's fair share of bad press with fraud, muggings, kidnappings and the like. My African wanderings only stretch as far as 2 weeks in Morocco and a couple of days in Egypt.

Afraid I'm not too clued up on the Nikons and their lenses as I've always been a Canon man but I know my heavy camera pack didn't seem like such a good idea after a few weeks on the road, especially in those moments when I was carrying my main rucksack and a daypack aswell! How long are you away for? 6 months? a year? I hope you get some great photos, I can't wait to see some of the results. I took just under 10,000 in my year away... hey, there's a target for you!

All the best,

Rich