Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 12-06-2006, 06:03 PM
TE Newbie

Default GOALS, to ADAM and Members

I would like to suggest another tab for the "My Account" area. It would be called "Goals".

It would contain the GOALS that members want to achieve. It could contain 4 or 5 comments areas per goal. Such as GOAL, DATE ACHIEVED, PERSONAL COMMENT OF GOAL, LINK TO PHOTO, ETC.

I feel that when another member look into someones Account and view this area, they would be more inclined to be more critical with the Critiques and Comments knowing the significance. It will also give us an outlet to plan achievements that we would like to accomplish.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:17 PM

Default Re: GOALS, to ADAM and Members

Any or all of this information can already be included in the member's Intro so I don't really see much value in adding additional fields. Doing so could actually be detrimental to current members. Why? Because new members would probably fill in these fields, and from your viewpoint would be considered more worthy of critiques than long established members who rarely view or update their own profiles.
To be honest it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to whether or not I critique a photo. I do that purely on the image content and really am not that interested in personal goals and whether they have been achieved or not. I get enough of that kind of thing at work with 'objectives'; 'personal development plans'; Key Result Areas and similar twaddle.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:51 PM
TE Newbie

I think Work 'objectives'; 'personal development plans' are forced upon us and bring a completely different emotion than our own desires. Each member can choose to use the site as they wish, Critiquing, etc. So to say it would be "detrimental to current members" would be extreme.

Thank you for your strong view point and I in courage more member to make an opinion
Old 12-06-2006, 08:44 PM
TE Senior Member

Why not just set the goals for yourself? I don't really get the point I think..

I also question myself why relatively newcomers want to change things immediatly on this site..I think it's first a good idea to see how everything works. Not just the buttons you can press. But the whole idea of the community etc.

And if you like these goals, why not put the in your profile, and say with your photo's that you would like to receive feedback concerning your goals. Or mention a specific thing with the photo you would liek to get feedback on. Just as mentioned somewhere in the FAQ or ToS.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:02 PM
TE Newbie

Thanks for the input Emiel. I agree with what you said about using the profile. My intention was not to change the site but too make and addition. As I think it a great tool to learn and at times teach.

I also think that some relative newcomers may come in with some fresh new ideas to may enhance TE, and should be encouraged and not frowned upon. As with all sites and software we tend to accept what is presented to us and fail to think outside the box.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:23 AM
TE Junior Member

I think you should also put time frames to your goals (or at least have them in your mind)... without these the goals are just abstract ones :)