Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great nicoz 2006-11-15 5:46

Hi Rui!
That's one heck of a wave!!! I bet that you had a good session that day! I've been bodyboarding for 14 years and went 4 times to Portugal. You have some crazy waves there! Never surfed in the north, but after this photo, I think that I'll go and have a look! Was the right opening as much as I dream of?

As you said, not much science in this photo, but only those who surf can understand the perfection of this wave and the excitement of the lucky you who's taken it!
Nicolas

Old 11-15-2006, 02:34 PM
TE Newbie

Default To nicoz: Was the right opening as much as I dream of?

Oh yeahhh...

You can΄t see it in this photo but to the left there's a cliff and the wave wedges a bit...

So, answering to your question: it not only opens a lot to the right as it usually ends with a final wedge section closing out... and it's fly time for the daring ones ;-P

And, as the "piece de resistance", this spot holds up to whatever size hits the coast... and I mean whatever... it easily goes out of control as you can check here...

Have fun!
Rui Seabra
Old 11-15-2006, 03:22 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: To nicoz: Was the right opening as much as I dream of?

hehe...
Wannasurf... my bible! I had heard of this spot, but didn't know it's this perfect!!! Does it work at normal sizes as well? (I mean less than 10km high...). It's mental how big and close to the shore it breaks! it looks better than "la graviere" in hossegor, our national pride!
Thanks for your answer!
keep it easy!
Nicolas
Old 11-16-2006, 03:11 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To nicoz: Was the right opening as much as I dream of?

Lol... I wouldn΄t say it's better... I've never been to "La Graviere" but I can tell from the photos I've seen that it seems to brake a bit more perfect and hollow than Nazarι...

What you get from Nazarι is power and wedges... And yes, it does work at small sizes - as I said before, this beach handles any size, from small to big, and it will have twice the power of any wave of the same size anywhere around in Portugal. You can surf 1 - 1.5 meters and get your ass kicked easily...

For Nazarι you just need any size swell - be careful with West swells as they will hit the shore with all the power due to the existence of a huge deep channel offshore from praia do norte - and East wind as north wind (the most frequent wind around here) will blow it out...

If you want my oppinion, I always get scared when I'm exiting the highway to Nazarι... It is one of those places I hate/love and that makes me wish for smaller than expected waves...

Have fun
Rui Seabra