Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-16-2006, 07:23 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: The uncritiqued, any solutions?

I really like donluicu's idea of having the uncritiqued on the main page. That could bring some exposure to some of the overlooked images. Maybe there could be some algorithm to see how active the person is (if they haven't posted in a year or so, maybe it shouldn't be up), as many have pointed out that many of the uncritiqued photos come from people who are no longer active.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:32 PM
TE Junior Member

There is the uncritiqued gallery already with a link from the main page. The problem is not the possibility to look at the uncritiqued photos, it is there, the problem is that people don't critique them. Maybe the daily quota of 20 rated critiques has to be increased.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:39 PM
TE Newbie

Though I am new to this site, I recently left a site that seemed to be overly concerned with critiques.Everyone wanted critique points so they could upload more photos. This still left photos that didn’t get critiqued. The main problem with the other site was that if you had a photo of a naked girl you had many many views and of course lots of critiques which in my opinion became stupid.( How many times do you have to say great lighting , great depth of field, nice composition . These critiques are IMO of no value. The other side to this is what do you say about a snap shot of someone’s cat / dog or their children?? other then the basic mistake of shooting down on your subjects. However everyone needs critique points so they just go on and on. The other problem with critique system is that it is in the eye of the beholder. I have had photos that were absolutely slaughtered by one critiquer (is that a word) yet the other critiquer said it was flawless. I do appreciate constructive critiques on my photos, however they have to be genuine, that being said the photographer as well has to give all the information regarding the photo, for example if I shot a photo at 1/125 and F11, someone may suggest trying it at 1/4 and f22, I would appreciate if they could also tell me what the expected result should be. My suggestion is a limit of 3 critiques per photo, the first three critiquers receive some sort of bonus points, however everyone viewing the photo can rate it. That way truly great photos get the recognition they deserve.Just my thoughts on the critique system.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:25 PM
TE Expert

Maybe the daily quota of 20 rated critiques has to be increased.
-------------------------------------------------------------

No one is prevented to write 50 a day is they want. I am sure some of the uncritiqued would love a non-smyley critique rather than none, since the quota is about 20 smyleys, not critiques.

I am not sure something is broken here, sure it's not perfect, but at the basis, as Rafal said, you cannot force people to write if they don't want to. Also, IMO, 40 uncritical "perfect DOF, great subject" smyleys equate no critiques on another shot. It just looks better, that's all. I will say that too many critiques show they have seen the picture, so the DOF, the angle, the subject, the author, but have not looked at it, which in photography, means THRU it. That's what critiquing is about, not saying what works, or not, but WHY it works or not. When you do that, it becomes impossible to write 20 a day on and on, lest you spend 3 or 4 hours looking and writing on and on.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:49 AM
TE Expert

The notes would come after a photo qualifies for the main galelry. Also the pre-galelry would be invisible to people outside of TE. Only logged in memmbers could see it.

I wouldnt put any criteria on rating. Simply 0-10 score based on photo quality.

A photo that doesnt make it through the pre-gallery gets erased.

yes, there is some censorship here but I think this would raise the quality of the main galelry and also simply reduce its size.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:58 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: A random orphan photo a day, keeps...

Anyway, maybe we should try to critique more orphan photos, but then again some of the members aren't even around anymore.

I'd just urge people to go beyond the frontpage. Does someone who has 30,000 points really need another "beautiful pov" critique on a pic that already has 100 points? Browse through the different countries, the regions etc and then make a critique. If that means that you only write 5 critiques a day, then so be it.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:16 AM

Default Re: Partial solution... [To BobTrips]

What if you created a groups function, but gave it a different name - like maybe "Lists"? ;)
Old 10-18-2006, 02:44 AM
TE Expert

So your proposal for MORE crriques on this site is to critique 5 times a day?
Old 10-18-2006, 09:14 AM
TE Junior Member

:-) nice!

Actually, if posters were forced to make 5 critiques before posting an image, it may well increase the overall number.

I've no idea of the stats on images posted each day compared to the number of critiques...anyone know?
Old 10-18-2006, 10:16 AM
TE Junior Member

You can't do much in this case, I'm afraid... forcing people to critique photos they don't want to is not a solution at all...

The only resonable ideas are those aiming at:
- increasing the total amount of involvement in this site - e.g. as mentioned before: 'you are not allowed to post a picture unless you write 5 critiques/ comments'
- increasing quality of pictures - but this one might hurt feelings of some of participants (especially beginners) if they pictures will be deleted...

On the other hand this site is not a purely photo gallery but its idea is somehow broader: to learn about the world, for which reason superb quality (both technical and concerning the content) of pictures shouldn't be the only indicator here...
But the next issue is that pictures posted here need to be at least to a certain extent attractive to the audience (a member can help here a lot by being active in comforting other members)- otherwise they will fall into the abyss...