Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-23-2006, 04:33 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: New Color Scheme?

I think you've put your finger on it, Adam. Much as one would be drawn to the Utopism behind Gal's suggestion, I can see bedlam too (based on your long experience with real-world gripes from members, Adam!)
What you describe would surely come to past.
The problem with the current scheme is it's not one thing or the other, not LIGHT enough or DARK enough, hence forcing some of us more snobbish members to concoct little white borders...
I personally think a DARKER hue even of the current scheme would do the job. So Dark Grey or Dark whatever it is we have now, and these photos will POP.
Francis
Old 08-30-2006, 04:11 PM
TE Expert

Hi Adam,

I think i can give you some imput because i do belong to that community Gal mentioned (Portuguese based community called THOUSANDIMAGES.COM)

In "THOUSANDIMAGES.COM" the photographer don't choose the background in the upload process... it's up to the viewer to choose the best one... this can get tricky sometimes... we all know how human nature works... if there's no trouble at all you must get one :))))

True example:

Photographer: Please use black background for optimal view
Viewer: This photo sucks, you just mention black because your photo does not survive with white background. You were trying to disguise your lack of quality with the background.
Photographer: You're wrong, i've made the photo thinking about a black background so you must see it over a black background
Viewer: That's wrong, all photos that cannot stand by themselfs over a white background don't worth a penny!

---

It's well known that black background helps a color photo to pop-up more that in a white background. Even with Black&white a black background can be better if thin white border is used around the photo.

White makes your eyes get tired faster because of the extreme brightness... There's a reason why most photo sites have black/grey background... as an example... i think "Flicker" has a very poor layout... and the background is really tiring (white)

On the other side, pbase; photo.net; altphoto.net have a much better acceptance and punchy look... background grey/black

Mario
Old 08-30-2006, 04:28 PM
TE Newbie

...please could you avoid using black, please;-)
Old 08-30-2006, 06:01 PM
TE Expert

Indeed the current bottom especially does not emphasize the photographs, but this particular color belongs to Trekearth.
One can be identified with it.

After if one wants to detach his photograph of the bottom, it is enough to add a framework and the turn is played… and then most important is to learn on our world.

It is well that most important, isn't it?

Regards
Philippe
Old 08-31-2006, 01:09 AM
TE Junior Member

I'm not keen on the black option. Dark grey would get my vote. But if you decide on no change, Adam, it wouldn't bother me too much.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:08 PM
TE Newbie

Obviously the best way to judge a photograph is to place against a neutral background; that's grey. Don't make the whole site grey, just apply it on the spot where the picture is placed.

Cheers!

Frank
Old 09-02-2006, 09:12 PM
TE Newbie

The photographer has the choice to apply a frame around his picture in any colour he likes.

Problem solved....
Old 09-02-2006, 09:34 PM
TE Expert

Obviously the best way to judge a photograph is to place against a neutral background; that's grey.
Black and white are also neutral, if not grey (a mix of black and white) wouldn't be.

Personally, a white background would allow me to post bigger photos, with no external frame except a black filet around.
I find black background being too "massive" in some cases, it seems like stressing the photo itself. more over it's a killer for its surroundings, I guess you would have to rethink the graphic charts and the colors of TrekEarth if you had to put a black background.

Of course, a choice of neutral colors would be the best option if not too diffculttechnically, I think the default should be left to the photographer, since he also decide of his frames currently.
The "art" of photography is also in the hanging.

My feelings.
Luko
Old 09-04-2006, 07:42 PM
TE Senior Member

I vote for keeping the same color scheme as the default but allowing users to set the color scheme to their own liking. The javascript thing for temporarily changing the color for certain photos is neat too.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:02 PM
TE Expert

I find the actual background colour doesn't bring out the best in photos. It looks a bit musty and old.
Grey would be better for those who don't use frames but also for those who put a white or black frame.