Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 04-28-2006, 04:39 PM
TE Newbie

Default San Francisco Tips

Hi everybody,

I'm planning a trip (my honeymoon in fact...) in early August to San Francisco. I'm on the lookout for tips and tricks for photography there. Are there any great spots for taking pictures? Less used angles of known monuments, great panoramas, fantastic beaches, etc. Where is the best place to view the sunset?

Thanks in advance for all contributors... :o)

Francois
Old 04-29-2006, 06:27 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: San Francisco Tips

Bonjour Francois,

SF is a great city for walking. It still has a lot of character, and many different neighboroods. Sunsets are probably best directly on the long beach at the end of the Golden gate Park (if no fog!!!). You might want also to have that classic golden gate bridge vista look from the mountain, left of the bridge, once you crossed it (very touristic, but thats' what your visa will say!). Twin peaks is a good bet too. Then you have Chinatown, when I am not sure where to go with the camera, that's where i go. Mission St, the hispanic neigborood has some intersting murals. Haight St and Ashbury, is also a pretty lively scene on the week-end. many clothes shops, and a very diverse crowd all day long.
Even Market St, the big main thoroughfare, can be interesting, up from 5th st and next into the Tenderloin, there you really get a sense of how many people are disenfranchised, down and out, still owning the street, and living their social life on it. Nothing quite like it, anywhere in Europe, that feeling of desolation, and derelictness, and pervading a whole neighborood. If you have been to the States already, you may know.
I have a problem getting the kind of people scenes I see in urban galleries of Europe and Asia on TE. I am a bit envious of someone like Francis (furachan), whose photography breathes the constant flow of life in Tokyo. I don't get that feeling in SF. Unless there is some fair or festival, and SF is at its most unique and fun.
To cheer you up, go to berkeley, walk thru the campus there, shop for music at Amoeba's
Old 04-30-2006, 09:03 PM
TE Newbie

North Beach is another area that's worth spending a bit of time in to take some photos. As you walk up through Chinatown from the Union Square arwa, North Beach will be the next neigbourhood you come to.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:46 PM
TE Newbie

I spent the tail-end of my Honeymoon in San Francisco early September last year and took some OK shots. I would take a city-tour on one of those buses searching for good angles and then come back and take some shots.
The only pic I have posted is actually from that trip.
Oh, and yesh it's Sunny California... But take a Sweater! San Fran is cold!!
Old 05-27-2006, 02:05 AM
TE Expert

Hi, Francois,

August is usually cold in San Francisco. Bring your wind jammers. Many places in the city have nice views. I listed down some places, it is up to you to decide.

1. Walk the Embarcadero Street from the foot of the Bay Bridge (San Francisco side) all the way to Fisherman's Wharf. Embarcadero borders San Francisco Bay. There are many places for your photographer's eyes. This is easy walking. This may take you 3 hours or more depending on stops.

2. Walk from Historic Fort Mason along Ocean Avenue all the way to the Palace of Fine Arts. The Palace of Fine Arts is an interesting structure of whatever remains of the 1937 Worlds Fair. Easy waking with the bay on one side and the expensive residences on the other side. The Golden Gate bridge, Alcatraz Island, Crissy Fields and all sorts of people. Palace of Fine Arts will be the finisher. Approx. 3 hours or more depending on stops. If you want you may walk all the way to the bottom south end of the Golden Gate Bridge and see historic Fort Point.

3.Go up the site of the Coit Tower. This is a high point in the city and get a 360 degree view. Only by car allow at least 2.5 hours to and fro by car.

4. If you will go to the East Bay, to Berkeley, do not fail to stop at Treasure Island. The view of the City from there is pretty. When you proceed to Berkeley, I recommend to go up the Berkeley Hills, taking the road that leads to Tilden Park. A spot on that road overlooks the whole City of San Francisco including the two bridges. Sunset there is fantastic! Bring your tripod in case you want to take some timed shots. This place is not the usual tourist spot. There is no landmark. You will just see the view as you go up Berkeley Hills.

Other points have been covered by the others. Have a good trip!

Andre'

2. Walk from