Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 11-25-2005, 01:46 PM
TE Expert

Default To Guntram: Coffee

Hi Guntram,

Thank you so much for your words and to have choose that picture in your favorites. I'm touched!

I have to say that in my way to the River, I stop at what we call in Canada, a "depanneur", which is a "convenience store" I think, to buy a coffee. It was simply tasteless! But still, I drank it since I did not want to have an headache! :) But, I never thought that I would be out for so long! But the time flew away without me realizing. Like said Chen, photography could be such a strong passion!

Now, I have a problem! I realized a few days ago that we cannot have more than 50 favorites photographers. I realize that when I tried to put you in my favorites! :( So, I have to do something about that. I find that pretty frustrating. Why 50? So, I take the opportunity to tell you that... By the way, it is not a way to return the elevator (hope it's also an expression in English!), it's because I think you do often great pictures and I want to follow your work.

Have a nice day or evening!

Claire
Old 11-25-2005, 06:01 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To Guntram: Coffee

O Claire, there are so many people getting so much involved in taking photos, and life is changing so much, that one get's almost satisfied with a horrible coffee, if it only makes the 'session' begin sooner. I myself gave up reading the newspaper in the mornings (and that is something very noticable for me ...!). I have never been to Canada, but the coffee in the US was far below the worst standard, I thought Canada is better (a bit like in France??)

Claire, you should not have this "favourite" problem ... it's all a just a silly game for grown-ups, isn't it? I mean the points, the back and forth of points, favourites etc. As I said earlier, I have to remind myself, that I'm 'devoted' to photography just for myself, if I take a picture of a rose, the fog, the night-bus or whatever ... I do it for myself in first respect and not in order to receive points or correspond to a certain taste. The feedback here is very very helpful for developing the skills, but I don't want to feed my ego with points (it's difficult to avoid that here, I guess).

I'm always delighted to receive your comments or critics, there is something very sensitive about your view (which I also like VERY much in your photos), and that is what counts a lot more! And I'm very thankful for that! So don't worry, at least I don't :-)))
And I'll definnitely keep following your work (although I have updated my intro a little bit today, and I won't be here every day in this addictive way). I freed myself from some photos I didn't want to see any longer in my gallery, lost about 200 points by that, but - I want to continue with another view, clearer head, and a bit slower indeed.

Last but not least, I have to make a link to another photo, what gave me a most delightful moment today. You can have an aerial view of the place where I'm living, and where I wander about in the early mornings, when the urge to take photos drags me out into the parks. You have to click
here

if you want to have a look ...

Have a good weekend, Claire, and thanks again!

Guntram
Old 11-25-2005, 06:09 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To Guntram: Coffee

Sorry Claire, the link I gave you didn't work right .. although I typed everything correctly. It should be this one:

http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Europe/Germany/photo276584.htm

it's an aerial view of Potsdam, which a member posted here.

sorry for that confusion!
greetings
Guntram
Old 11-25-2005, 06:59 PM
TE Expert

Default Favorites and coffee

Hi Guntram,

Yes, I see you did a big "cleaning" in your gallery. But, I think that most of the pictures that I liked are still there! :) I understand also that it's a lot of time to be active on TE. Especially when you want to say more in critics than just "Wow, it's beautiful" and also, to try to express it in another language... And I know that you are also very active in TL as well. Will you be more active in TL? I think sometimes of becoming a member of TL, for the bigger freedom in the kind of pictures to post. But, I cannot manage two accounts... Too much time.

I agree also with you that what's the most important thing is photography in itself. I mean, taking pictures, going outside and seeing the world around. Showing your pictures to other is important, but it is second to the real fact of taking it first. This is what have become the passion in my life, what's make me happy, and in fact change my life! For the time being, I'm still involved in TE because I learn a lot. Not so much by posting my pictures, but by seeing what others post, the way they see things, their tries that gives me inspiration, admiration and help me to be more creative. That's a tool for me. I had a goal at the beggining of the year: become more creative and finding a way to express myself. I found it. I'm happy! But in TE, I also discover some people that touches me, that are special to me, I created with them a certain relation, even if it's a "virtual" one. You are one of them.

About the favorites thing, for me it's not a question of exchanging points, or "scratch me back, I'll scratch yours". For me, placing someone in my favorites was the easiest way to follow the work of people that take pictures that interests me. I did not want to bookmarks all of them! It's why I don't understand the limit of 50. I guess that it is for avoiding the "scratch me back, I'll scratch yours" thing that there's a limit. But it's frustrating! I see that there is the possibility of making lists. I will explore that, when I'll get the time!

For the coffee, yes in Quebec (I don't know for the rest of Canada), you can find very good coffee. But as I wanted to go to the River before the fog went out, I did not have the time to go to a good place. That's why!

You seem to live in a very beautiful place. Thank you for sharing the picture! You love your place, that's pretty evident, and we can feel it. It's great!

Have a nice weekend Guntram!

Claire
Old 11-25-2005, 09:43 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Favorites and coffee

Hi Claire,
thanks for your long reply ...
Having cleaned out these "pre-TE"-photographs was a pefect thing to do for me, I feel much better now ... and I left most ones with a '*' here, as they obviously pleased somebody. I think it's also an effect of the improvement in one's own skills, that you learn here - I have come to a point, where I very clearly see, what I would do better in the same situation now, and that's just after 4 months ...
I will be posting at TL in the same way as before, maybe a little less. I feel, that TL is more about learning photography, and doesn't come with the obligation to write notes as it is required here on TE. And yes, you can even make a picture of your toes in the sand and get comments on that ... but I can't handle both TE and TL in the same way. That has become too much, and I have already started to neglect other projects besides my daily work ... but I feel the same, having found in photography something to express myself with, and there is so much to discover!
Concerning the "favourites", I understood you very well from the beginning, I just feel myself, that I'm trapped in some cases where I feel the obligation to write a critic, although I can't do that sometimes. But I try to be honest if I don't like something, after all, that's about learning.

Ah, and thanks for having a look at that Potsdam-vie, I can almost see the house where I'm living in ... what an innocent joy I had this morning when I saw that. I like this place a lot, really, and it's so close to the centre of Berlin, where I lived for about 20 years (and still I spend most of my time there). But Potsdam is something special, a nice place to live ...

So, thanks a lot for this exchange of thoughts, even if it's just 'virtual', I enjoy this a lot. And I won't be away from here!

Have a good weekend, Claire, and some good coffee!

Cheers

Guntram