Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 11-16-2005, 11:24 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Turning down my first assignment - Your Opinion Please

Oi Mario, if I may add my two cents, I nearly had a picture in a very nice Spanish magazine, the editor conrfirmed it to me, but at the last moment they chose a picture from a pro. Well, HE has to make a living out of it. It feels nice of course when they choose a picture of you, but there's no reason at all why they should get a picture of you for free, they have their income from advertisement etc., and there's no reason at all why you should give it for free, besides, you want to be taken seriously in your passion, right? They paid a reasonable price, which was the same for everyone, pro's and amateurs alike. To me that sounded fair. Try to get a copy, see what it is like, what sort of advertisement, how many, and the number of copies for instance.
I hope you get sell some pictures, they're worth it.
Rinie
Old 11-17-2005, 03:50 AM
TE Expert

Thanks for your two cents ;)
This time is even worse, they don't want one of my uploaded photos, they want an assigment, or should i say a photo taken for them.

I've set my price, i will email them in the morning.

Mario
Old 11-17-2005, 05:46 AM
TE Expert

Hmmmm. Well I was contacted from PBase by some guy in Hollabd wanting to use my photos but I turned him down. It sounded fishy.

However there is a new magazine coming out in Seoul, and they dont offer money for photos. Its local, small and probably wont be making money for sometime. But I have contacted the editor and they contacted me and I would love to have my stuff published there. Its a good way to get noticed by people who do pay. The thing I like about it vs the Holland thing is that its close, and I have more control over my images. I wouldnt just hand my photos over to some stranger from PBase unless he was with an established publication.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:21 AM
TE Expert

Mario:
DO IT, man!
Let's be clear on this: all of us are here getting thes "greenies" from each other, and once in a blue moon even a wink from Luko or some other luminary, but how often are we offered an ASSIGNMENT?
Don't be a fool, take it!
Why?
Because the next one that comes along (on the strength of what you did this time), you damn well better ask to be paid! But uo will be much closer to being asked agin after you are a published photg than now.
Put your pride in your pocket (or the pride by proxy of those who advise you to say NO), and say "Yes". You won't regret it, and we'll all be behind you, you know...
My 2 cents against the genereal grain (well, Narayan seems with me on this...
Old 11-17-2005, 01:03 PM
TE Newbie

Hi,
I have also been contacted by a mexican magazin (La Tempestad), with the request to use some of my photos for a 'Berlin-Special' edition.
I was quite astionished, as I am nothing more than an amateur photographer, but of course I felt honoured ...
However, I think some research is necessary, as the lady who contacted me, came out rightaway with a list of photos she wanted (from TE and TL), in the original size and larger than the posted format here. No word concerning a contract or even paymwent for the photos.
One should be careful about requests like these, as the email-adress the lady used, was not an adress used by the entire staff of the magazine. What I think now is, that there are people trying to collect photos here for free (and of course the know that an amateur photographer is feeling honoured by such a request), and offer them on their own to the magazines trying to get some money this way. The only thing I was offered was a free copy with the published photographs.
I contacted Adam in this matter, and I was informed, that such a request had been made in the name of this magazine quite frequently here. Meanwhile their account has been disabled ... well, such an account maybe renewed under another name instead very easily.

The "case" is not over now, but I think, after demanding a proper contract and a payment-offer, I assume, I will not get an answer.
I'll keep you informed.

Greetings
Guntram
Old 11-17-2005, 05:37 PM
TE Newbie

Don't worry about the pressure - you get use to it and you may find that it helps.

Did you research the mag? What is their cirulation?
Old 11-17-2005, 05:40 PM
TE Expert

Hi Peggi,
Yes i did research, it was the first thing after their contact.

They are a travel magazine, aimed at top class or executive holidays, it's aimed manly the female group.

I don't know the aceptance of such magazine though
Old 11-17-2005, 05:47 PM
TE Expert

EHEHE you have a point, we are here just getting greenies BUT i feel we are most honest here than this guys from this magazine (sometimes too honest)

no, i'm not pride, far from it, just a cool guy that loves the joy of wondering with the cam on my hand taking photos of pretty Polish and Portuguese ladies ;)

If you know some non-profit organization needing a crap photographer in Portugal let me know, if you know any comercial company needing a photographer even if they pay below the avarage now i call that a start... i will not think twice, but this guys....They are aimed to a top class or executive holidays and they don't have budget for photography?

... they didn't contacted the restaurant...
... they don't want to pay...
... they don't want a formal acceptance or contract regarding copyright...

it's too strange to me... i'm happier with the greenies ;)