Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great fallan 2009-06-10 14:59

Very nice composition. How did you keep the back wall from blowing out? Although I've done some exploring around the Escalante, I've never hiked the river itself. Nice photo.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:49 AM
TE Newbie

Default To fallan: Aha! You know the difficulties of canyon light!

Hi, Allan. There is only one answer to your question: color negative film. And wedding/portrait film at that, to assure wide latitude. The film, along with reasonably careful exposure, assures that I get all the data captured. (In this case, assuming "sunny f16 rule" for the sunlit wall, I overexposed the wall by about 3 stops and still got a usable exposure of it!) Then it is up to me to scan appropriately, essentially another exposure decision but with vast control over density distribution. In this case I did not do any local burn/dodge in PP, but pretty much got what I wanted with density curve tweaking alone.

Of course, if shooting digital one could use HDR to create a composite of two shots at different exposures to achieve about the same result, at least in theory. But it is hard to get one shot with no subject movement from wind, let alone two.

BTW, this is not the Escalante river itself, but a tributary stream. Email me and I will tell you which one. You are fortunate to live within a relatively short drive of it if, as I assume, you live in the St. George area. It takes me a full day's drive to get to the trailhead. I'd LOVE to be able to drop in here over a long weekend! -Don