Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Buin 2009-06-05 23:53

Hallo Don!
This one I like very much! This gorge with its different - and difficult - light really is intriguing and the composition of the picture creates a wonderful depth. A truly worth-seeing photo!
Greetings fromGermany - and have a nice weekend!
Frank

Old 06-07-2009, 12:55 AM
TE Newbie

Default To Buin: Hi and Thanks and comments

Hello, Frank. I am very happy to meet you! And I am very glad that you enjoy the photo!

The difficult lighting conditions you mention were overcome in large degree because of the use of low contrast color negative film that allowed me to capture all the data in the scene and then control the distribution of tones during scanning and post-processing. Color positive film and most digital cameras have too little dynamic range for scenes like this, so they make the tonal distribution choices for you, often badly.

The composition was more difficult to achieve. My widest lens is not very wide, about the equivalent of a 35mm lens for a 35mm camera. So, to get the FG rock to "loom" while including enough BG, I had to get low with the camera and tripod. So I was kneeling in the water as I composed and focused the shot. I am happy that the result was worth the effort.

And I am grateful for your good weekend wish. I AM having a very nice weekend, and I hope you are too!

Cordially,
Don