The TrekEarth Forums

The TrekEarth Forums (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Paid membership? (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797172)

Keitht 12-31-2009 03:30 PM

Re: Paid membership?

Before any of us go screaming away from the site, wouldn't it make sense to wait and hear precisely what is actually being proposed? I don't currently pay for membership of any site* and find it difficult to imagine what might be offered here to make me pay. The site as it stands provides me with everything I want without cost. If functionality was removed unless payment was made I certainly think that could sound the death knell for the site.

* I should qualify that statement. One site I use does have an additional charge for access to certain features, but not for the core elements of the site. As I help with administration on that site I do not have to pay for access to those features.

maloutim 12-31-2009 04:03 PM

To Keitht 31-12-09. LET'S ALL EXPRESS OUR DISCONTENT

I think perhaps it's better for the administrators to know how all the members feel about that possibility (So far, EVERYBODY has manifested their strong disagreement!), before they present us with "the fait accompli". I think there is a danger of that, if you read carefully what the admin. Ibsteph wrote on 24-12-09.

maloutim 12-31-2009 04:03 PM

To Keitht 31-12-09. LET'S ALL EXPRESS OUR DISCONTENT

I think perhaps it's better for the administrators to know how all the members feel about that possibility (So far, EVERYBODY has manifested their strong disagreement!), before they present us with "the fait accompli". I think there is a danger of that, if you read carefully what the admin. Ibsteph wrote on 24-12-09.

Keitht 12-31-2009 04:32 PM

Re: To Keitht 31-12-09. LET'S ALL EXPRESS OUR DISCONTENT

I agree absolutely that we need to let the administrators know how we feel. What concerns me is people saying they are leaving now, before it is actually clear just what IB plan to introduce.
From what I have read so far there are plans afoot, and very negative and vociferous reactions to those plans. Hopefully IB will note the reactions and act accordingly. I'm just suggesting that none of us act precipitously until final and definitive plans are announced. We've already seen a number of members deleting their images on the basis of what they think might happen and I don't think that kind of action is beneficial to anyone here.

xuaxo 12-31-2009 07:10 PM

Re: LET'S ALL EXPRESS OUR DISCONTENT

I agree with Keith that nobody should act on the basis of what they think might happen. Let's express our discontent for proposals that we don't like, but let's go on as usual, until eventually something really happens. Maybe after our expression of discontent IB won't do anything bad.

AROBN54 12-31-2009 08:00 PM

Re: LET'S ALL EXPRESS OUR DISCONTENT

Oh boy...

It's bad enough I have completely lost all interest IN photography for some reason and then my favorite of three Trek sites is proposing THIS??? Maybe all these nonsensical changes were what killed my desire to even make photos. But if I ever get over this slump I would like to come back to TE as its been - a community. If they start that, I can't say I will ever come back.

Happy New Year!! my Trekearth friends... May the coming year be your best yet!!

Shelly

JudyR 12-31-2009 10:21 PM

paid memberships et al

I can understand the desire to make money, and perhaps the sales staff can accomplish that without destroying the purpose and intent of this site. I don't mind the still ads on top and on the sides, and if they accomplish what the sales staff wants, great (I sure hope they do). Stopping the odious expanding ads is essential to everyone's sanity.

I really don't think allowing more than one photo a day is any kind of incentive, nor would it improve this site. I sure hope they let that idea go. I've had to take extra care with my submissions because I know if I screw it up, I've lost my chance. I believe, with only one upload/day allowed, that there is a much larger participation, worldwide. So terrific! Please keep it to one photo/day.

Thanks. Happy New Year to everyone. May peace be with us in the new year. Judy

Aviller 01-01-2010 10:47 AM

The place is already swamped enough with pictures as it is (which I love btw)...but if we offer paid membership and the ability to post say 10 pics a day, most "2nd class member" pics will be on the front page for a couple of minutes and hardly anyone will bother to check them out. As the great Charles Oakley once said: "If it ain't broke, don't break it."

Didi 01-01-2010 10:54 AM

Not enough time for me to waste for posting more than one picture per day.
For me one picture every week that's enough.

leo61 01-01-2010 11:35 AM

posting last about 30 seconds and writing a note 1-5 minutes.....
Leo