Photographer's Note

La Boca is a neighborhood, or barrio of the Argentine capital, Buenos Aires. It retains a strong European flavour, with many of its early settlers being from the Italian city of Genoa. In fact the name has a strong assonance with the genoese neighborhood of Boccadasse (or Bocadaze in genoese dialect), and some people believe that the Buenos Aires' barrio was indeed named after it. The conventional explanation is that the neighborhood sits at the mouth ("boca" in Spanish) of the Riachuelo.

In 1882, after a lengthy general strike, La Boca seceded from Argentina, and the rebels raised the Genoese flag, which was immediately torn down personally by then President Julio Argentino Roca.

It is known throughout the sporting world as the home of Boca Juniors, one of South America's top football clubs. La Boca is a popular destination for tourists visiting Argentina, with its colourful houses and pedestrian street, the Caminito, where tango artists perform and tango-related memorabilia is sold. Other attractions include the La Ribera theatre, many tango clubs and Italian taverns, as well as La Bombonera, home of Boca Juniors.

It has also been a centre for radical politics, having elected the first socialist member of Argentine Congress (Alfredo Palacios in 1935) and been home to many demonstrations during the crisis of 2001.

As one of Buenos Aires's 48 barrios, La Boca is located in the city's south-east near its old port. The barrio of Barracas is to the west; San Telmo and Puerto Madero are to the north. (from Wikipedia)

This is a crop of one of the old houses of La Boca. Many from this houses were built by the sailors, and they use the material they had, painted with the ship's ink. The main houses faades are conserved and well painted, as you saw a few days ago in this post, but this is a houses back.
Regards,
Zeca

Photo Information
Viewed: 3236
Points: 72
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Jose A Hauer (zeca) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 2801 W: 157 N: 4803] (19762)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH