Φωτογραφίες

Photographer's Note

Detail of the monument to Major General Marquis Gilbert de Lafayette (1757-1834), in Lafayette park, located at the southeast corner. Lafayette was a noted general who was a well-known figure during the Revolution. He emigrated to the US at age nineteen, in his own vessel, la Victoire, in 1777. As a wealthy French noble, he contributed vast amounts of his own wealth to support the American resistance movement and was appointed a major general in the Continental army, serving under General George Washington himself. He was wounded in combat at Brandywine and was at Valley Forge during the harsh winter there, but survived to serve as a leader in the Yorktown campaign which finally led to the British surrender. His death in 1834 was nationally mourned, with both the House and Senate draping the chambers in black; he was posthumously bestowed honorary citizenship by the Congress in 2002.

There are four monuments to some of the luminaries of the American Revolution in the park. This one, cast by Jean Alexandre Joseph Falguiere in 1890, is one of the most well-known. It was installed in its present location in 1891. The inscription reads "To General La Fayette and his Compatriots 1777-1783. Derville Farbre (base; north side, on cartouche) by the Congress in Commemoration of the Services Rendered by General Lafayette and his Compatriots During the Struggle for the Independence of the United States of America." It's listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Some have suggested that the bronze statue at the top depicts the Marquis de Lafayette petitioning the French National Assembly to continue assistance to the nascent American nation in their fight for independence, which, of course preceded the French one which would come just a few short years later.

pajaran έχουν(ει) επιλέξει αυτή τη σημείωση ως χρήσιμη

Photo Information
Viewed: 328
Points: 0
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Terez Anon (terez93) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 87 W: 78 N: 941] (1729)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH