Photographer's Note

Taken in Anatolian Civilizations Museum in Ankara.. We visited here with dear Yagmur (ymrk).. You may see him at the workshop..

The Anatolian Civilizations Museum is located in the district called Atpazari,("the horse market") to the south of Ankara Castle. The Museum occupies two Ottoman buildings which have been renovated and altered to suit their new role. One of them is the Mahmut Pasha Bedesten and the other is the Kursunlu Han.

It is believed that the Bedesten (part of a bazaar where valuable goods were stored) was built between 1464 and 1471 by Mahmut Pasha,the grand vizier of Sultan Mehmet the Conqueror.There isno inscription on the building. Documentry sources,however, indicated that Ankara "sof" (cloth made from goat or camel hair) was distributed from here. The building has a plan of standard type. There is a covered rectengular area with 10 domes in the middle.There is a surrounding vaulted arcade, occupied by shops arranged so that those of the,same trade face each other.

Recent research, into the land registers and judicial records of the Ankara province show that Kurshunlu Han was built by Mehmet Pasha who succeeded Mahmut Pasha to the post of grand vizier in the reign of Sultan Mehmet.He held the post until 1470, and he founded the Han to provide revenue for his soup-kitchen or the poor and needy in the Uskudar, where finally he was buried. The building lacks an inscription, but during restoration work carried out in 1946 coins of Sultan Murat II were found, proving that the Han was in existence by the first half of the 15th century. The building has a typical plan for a Han of the Ottoman Period.In the middle there is a courtyard.It is surrounded by a series of rooms in two storeys. There are 28 rooms on the ground floor and 30 on the first. All of the rooms have fireplaces.In the basement of the west and south sides of the building there is a L-shaped stable. There are 11 shops on the north side, 9 on the east and 4 facing each other in the open-ended vaulted antechamber.

The two buildings, which are used as a Museum today, fell out of use after a fire in 1981.

Today, the two buildings that form the museum, were left after the last fire in 1881.


Ankara ziyaretimizde Anadolu Medeniyetleri Muzesinde cekildi, sevgili yagmur (ymrk) workshopta..

Photo Information
Viewed: 2207
Points: 20
Discussions
Additional Photos by ReLa Moonkhan (gokanlam) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 678 W: 166 N: 1118] (6605)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH