Photographer's Note

The Miramar Palace and its park covers an area of 34,136 m2, bounded on the north, the gardens of Ondarreta, the rocks and the sea, on the south by the Paseo de Pio Baroja, in the east, with the Walk Miraconcha and on the west by the Paseo de los Miqueletes.

The palace was designed by the English architect Selden Wornun in 1888, but was taken out by Benito Olasagasti, under the direction of architect Jos Goicoa. The building consists of a basement and three floors, the first two were the private use and last, attic, was reserved for the servants.

San Sebastian had become the capital of tourism since the mid-nineteenth century the Spanish royal family began summering in the city. This resulted in the City Council began to shuffle different locations to build a residence worthy of kings.

Municipal Corporation finally decided to discard the current location after acquiring Aiete Palace, owned by the Duchess of Bailen, and, since 1887, was used by the Kings as a summer residence.

However, Queen Maria Cristina, "for refusing to accept the sacrifice that would mean for the City", bought in 1888, possession of the Count of Moviana had in Miraconcha.

The original farm has been expanded with various acquisitions, which has allowed him to create an enviable setting of gardens and forests.

The farm and Palacio de Miramar is, since August 1972, owned by the city of San Sebastian. Its location on the beach of La Concha beach Ondarreta and make it one of the most visited places by donostiarras and those visiting the city.


-----------------------------------------------


El Palacio Miramar y su parque abarca una superficie de 34.136 m2, limitados, por el norte, por los jardines de Ondarreta, las peas y el mar, por el sur, con el Paseo de Po Baroja, por el este, con el Paseo de Miraconcha y, por el Oeste, con el Paseo de los Miqueletes.

El palacio fue proyectado por el arquitecto ingls Selden Wornun, en 1888, pero fue llevado a cabo por Benito Olasagasti, bajo la direccin del arquitecto Jos Goicoa. El palacio consta de stano y tres plantas, las dos primeras eran las de uso privado y la ltima, abuhardillada, estaba reservada para la servidumbre.

San Sebastin se haba convertido en la capital del turismo desde que a mediados del siglo XIX la familia real espaola comenzara a veranear en la ciudad. Esto dio lugar a que el Ayuntamiento empezara a barajar diferentes ubicaciones para edificar una residencia digna de los monarcas.

La Corporacin Municipal finalmente opt por la ubicacin actual tras desechar el adquirir el Palacio de Aiete, propiedad de la Duquesa de Bailn, y que, desde 1887, era utilizado por los Reyes como residencia de verano.

Sin embargo, la Reina Mara Cristina, "por no querer aceptar el sacrificio que supondra para el Ayuntamiento", compr, en 1888, la posesin que el Conde de Moviana tena en Miraconcha.

La primitiva finca ha ido amplindose con diferentes adquisiciones, lo que le ha permitido crear un entorno envidiable de jardines y bosque.

La finca y Palacio de Miramar es, desde agosto de 1972, propiedad del Ayuntamiento de San Sebastin. Su situacin sobre la Playa de La Concha y la Playa de Ondarreta hacen de l uno de los lugares ms visitados por los donostiarras y por aquellos que visitan la ciudad.

Photo Information
Viewed: 1914
Points: 56
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8005 W: 5 N: 14104] (62896)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH