Photographer's Note

The Church of San Vicente is the oldest temple of San Sebastin. Located in the foothills of Mount Urgull near the mouth of the river Urumea. The outside of the church of San Vicente contrasts in terms of coarseness with fineness inside.

It was built during the first half of the sixteenth century Basque Gothic style under the direction of teachers Santa Celay Miguel and Juan de Urrutia. During its history it was added as the porch Baroque buildings in 1619, the vestry in 1666 and in 1784 the choir stairs. In 1892 was added on the eastern semi-octagonal baptistery, and closed the atrium and the southern gate, forming the new locks doors. In 1923 he opened four rosettes on the facades.

The exterior of the church has a rough appearance due to the defensive function of the buildings of the time. In fact, it has attached to its front guards. Noted for rosettes and pointed arches. His original plan was not developed fully, as evidenced by the unfinished northern enclosure wall.

The interior consists of three naves, the central one being the highest, a cruise line with aisles, octagonal apse, and vaults supported by columns inside circular core columnillas and, externally, by powerful buttresses and buttresses.

The church has a Romanesque altarpiece, the work of Ambrose and Juan de Iriarte Bengoechea. In complex ways, tells the story of the Passion of Christ. There are figures of Jesus, San Vicente, San Sebastin and the Assumption. All have wonderful expressions on the faces and movement communicate.


---------------------------------------------


La Iglesia de San Vicente es el templo ms antiguo de San Sebastin. Se encuentra en las faldas del Monte Urgull junto a la desembocadura del ro Urumea. La parte exterior de la Iglesia de San Vicente contrasta en cuanto a tosquedad con la finura del interior.

Fue construida durante la primera mitad del siglo XVI en el estilo gtico vasco bajo la direccin de los maestros Miguel de Santa Celay y Juan de Urrutia. Durante su historia se le agreg construcciones como el prtico barroco en 1619, la sacrista en 1666 y la escalera del coro en 1784. En 1892 se aadi en la fachada oriental un baptisterio semioctogonal, y se cerr el atrio y la puerta meridional, formando puertas en los nuevos cierres. En 1923 se abrieron cuatro rosetones en las fachadas.

El exterior de la iglesia presenta un aspecto tosco debido a la funcin defensiva de las construcciones de la poca. De hecho, cuenta con resguardos adosados en su fachada. Destaca por los rosetones y arcos apuntados. Su plan original no lleg a desarrollarse totalmente, como lo prueba el inconcluso muro de cierre septentrional.

El interior consta de una planta de tres naves, siendo la central la ms alta; un crucero alineado con las naves laterales; un bside ochavado; y bvedas de crucera sostenidas interiormente por columnas de ncleo circular con columnillas adosadas y, exteriormente, por poderosos contrafuertes y arbotantes.

La Iglesia alberga un retablo del romnico, obra de Ambrosio de Bengoechea y Juan de Iriarte. De complejos formas, relata la historia de la Pasin de Cristo. Hay figuras de Jess, San Vicente, San Sebastin y la Asuncin. Todas tienen admirables expresiones de los rostros y comunican movimiento.

Photo Information
Viewed: 1300
Points: 44
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8005 W: 5 N: 14104] (62896)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH