Photographer's Note

The castle of Consuegra of the son-in-law rises, surrounded with wind mills, on the hill Calderico, or " Of La Mancha Crestera ", placed to the south of the locality of Mother of the son-in-law, to the south of the province of Toledo.

The locality of Consuegra of the son-in-law, of Celtiberian, Roman roots and visigodas, it was an important front fortified during the struggles between Toledo and the caliphate of Cordoba, and it would be happening alternativamente for Christian and Arab hands. The Roman history of this fortitude goes back to the epoch of the Consaburum, which was provided with the typical edificciones of a big city, such as circus, spa, walls and aqueduct.

Possibly the first reconstruction of castle will realize Almanzor in the Xth century, in full Moslem mastery of these regions. In the year 1097 king Almotamid de Sevilla transferred the castle to Alfonso VI, across a matrimonial agreement for which the king was marrying the Sevillian princess Zaida, contributing this one as dowry the castle of Consuegra of the son-in-law. The fortitude was obtained this way without blood spilling, but soon, on August 15, 1097, Alfonso VI lost the castle in the battle of Mother of the son-in-law against the almorvides.

The castle was definitively recovered by the Christians in the middle of the XIIth century, and reconstructed by the Hospitable Gentlemen between this century and the following one, which explains his original architecture of "European" type. Alfonso VII delivered the fortitude, the people and the grounds of the outline to the Order of Saint John of Jerusalem in the year 1183, who constructed the current castle and established there the capital of his Priorato of The Spot, guarding the step to the region of which it is a natural door. In him it celebrated several chapters the Order and there his valuable file was surviving, destroyed apparently during the French invasion, which troops occupied it from 1809 until 1813 for his strategic value.

The structure of this castle is quite atypical. It is constituted basically by a central body squared in a big cylindrical tower to each of his sides. The enclosure is surrounded by a barrier that only remains stay in the part that was surrounding the court of weapon.

The first thing that appears there is an empty space so called 'lookout', from where one gains access to the castle in strict sense, which is surrounded by the defensive barrier.

The door of access is framed by two cubic structures, and on her there finds the shield of the Prior of the Order Juan Jos of Austria and that of the lvarez of Toledo.

Between the interior stays they emphasize the cistern, with covering of vault of cannon, a patio and the files of the Order of Saint John, destroy you for the French troops in 1809.

The albarrana tower, defensive Arab element that constitutes a clear trace of his step along the zone, performs circular form and he is in the most southern part of the castle. This tower was joined to the set by means of an adarve. It has four flats, for what his height is considerable.

Another classic photo of one of the places most known about Spain, the mills of Consuegra of the son-in-law and his castle.

A WS where his place is seen.

Photo Information
Viewed: 5290
Points: 160
Discussions
Additional Photos by Charo Parras (Charo) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 5063 W: 58 N: 12115] (51290)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH