Photographer's Note

The origin of the church of Sant Josep dates back to 1726, when the inhabitants of es Vedrans and Benimussa, two regions of the municipality, asked the archbishop of Tarragona to allow them to build a temple. The works began a year later, but were interrupted until in 1730 the project was resumed by the Valencian architect Pere Ferro, who had moved to the island to rebuild the Convent of the Dominicans of Dalt Vila, in the capital, badly affected by the explosion from the powder magazine. He managed to finish it a few years later.

The facade of the church has a rectangular porch with three arches and the interior is composed of a main nave with a semicircular vault supported by five arches and several side chapels, including Sa Capella Fonda (the honda chapel). The temple preserves a wooden pulpit decorated by Jos Snchez Oca in 1763, with representations of the mysteries. The original altarpiece was burned at the beginning of the Civil War, in 1936. After that dark period, it was replaced by an exact replica acquired with the alms of the faithful.

-------------------------------------------------------

El origen de la iglesia de Sant Josep se remonta a 1726, cuando los habitantes de es Vedrans y Benimussa, dos regiones del municipio, pidieron al arzobispo de Tarragona que les permitiera construir un templo. Las obras comenzaron un ao despus, pero se interrumpieron hasta que en 1730 retom el proyecto el arquitecto valenciano Pere Ferro, que se haba desplazado a la isla para reconstruir el Convento de los Dominicos de Dalt Vila, en la capital, gravemente afectado por la explosin del polvorn. Consigui terminarla pocos aos ms tarde.

La fachada de la iglesia tiene un porche rectangular de tres arcos y el interior est compuesto por una nave principal con bveda de medio punto sostenida por cinco arcos y varias capillas laterales, entre las que destaca Sa Capella Fonda (la capilla honda). El templo conserva un plpito de madera decorado por Jos Snchez Oca en 1763, con representaciones de los misterios. El retablo original fue incendiado al comienzo de la Guerra Civil, en 1936. Tras ese periodo oscuro, fue sustituido por una rplica exacta adquirida con las limosnas de los fieles.

Photo Information
Viewed: 496
Points: 44
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8113 W: 5 N: 14412] (64128)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH