Φωτογραφίες

Photographer's Note

The Caetani fortress in Sermoneta
A magnificent example of a medieval impregnable fort, the castle was named after the Caetani family, who more than others marked its destiny, thus tying it to its alternate fortunes.

Actually, the history of the castle started with the Annibaldi family, who built it in the XIII century in a dominating position with a stately 42-metre donjon and a “smaller donjon” or countertower, the only rests of the original Rock, which arrived to us.

The court of the castle was the current Arm Square, where there was also a church, called of San Pietro in Corte, which was though destroyed during the occupation of the Borgia family in 1500.

The Annibaldi family ceded in 1297 the territories of Sermoneta, Bassiano and San Donato to the nephew of Pope Boniface VIII, Pietro Caetani, for the amount of 140 thousand gold fiorins. Yet, it was a fortune for the entire area, for Sermoneta and especially for the castle.

In fact, the Caetani did not save anything to make the Annibaldi Rock a real military fort with new buildings and five boundary walls, which, owing to a system of drawbridges, assured the possibility to isolate the tower in case of attack.

Under the ruling of Onorato III Caetani, towards the mid-XV century, Sermoneta experienced its most magnificent period: Onorato was an active, energetic man, a real born commander, as he showed by taking part in the battle of Lepanto.

An important signal of danger for the Caetani family was the trap that was plotted against Onorato, maybe by the dreadful Borgia family. As soon as Alexander VI (of Borgia) was elected Pope in 1499, he immediately excommunicated the Caetani family and confiscated all their feuds, thus entrusting them to her daughter Lucrezia (the notorious Lucrezia Borgia, daughter of the Pope Alexander VI).

And this is not all!

The castle returned to its owners towards the end of the XIX century, with Gelasio Caetani, who managed the stately restoration works of the ancient family house.

The Fondazione Roffredo Caetani has carried out its purpose: to preserve the works, which have arrived to us, and to keep alive the memory of the past centuries!



[ITALIANO]

Entrata alla Rocca di Sermoneta (Castello dei Caetani)

La rocca di Sermoneta venne costruito per volere della famiglia degli Annibaldi, agli inizi del 1200. Il maniero nacque piω come fortezza militare, in un punto strategico del territorio tra Roma e Napoli, che come residenza nobiliare: le pareti esterne sono spesse oltre tre metri e tutta la struttura θ protetta da una cinta muraria che poggia sulla roccia viva. La struttura domina Sermoneta, θ perfettamente integrata con il nucleo abitato, e visto il suo perfetto stato di conservazione θ visitabile con percorsi guidati.
Struttura:
Il nucleo del castello θ composto dal maschio (o mastio) che ospitava le stanze da letto del signore e che fungeva da ultimo rifugio di sicurezza in caso d'invasione nemica. La struttura del maschio era completamente indipendente dal resto del castello ed era collegata alle strutture adiacenti solo da due ponti levatoi in legno che potevano essere sollevati all'occorrenza. Il personale e la servitω si sarebbero rifugiati al suo interno qualora tutto il complesso fosse caduto in mani nemiche.

Nei pressi del maschio sorge la seconda torre, molto piω piccola, detta maschietto. All'esterno delle due torri c'θ la grande piazza d'armi. Alcuni edifici del castello vennero in parte demoliti dai Caetani, che realizzarono la sala dei Baroni (modificata dai Borgia nel XV secolo) e le sale dette Camere pinte (ristrutturate alla fine degli anni Novanta). Quest'ultimo complesso θ composto da tre stanze per gli ospiti, di cui due sono affrescate da un autore sconosciuto che viene fatto risalire alla scuola del Pinturicchio con immagini che rappresentano figure mitologiche e le virtω teologali. Nel 1400 venne realizzata la Casa del Cardinale Valentino Borgia: questo edificio ospita la Madonna con il Bambino e i santi Pietro, Stefano e Giovannino dipinto nel 1541 da Girolamo Siciolante e che originariamente si trovava esposto nell'abbazia di Valvisciolo.
I Borgia, che esproprianono il castello ai Caetani grazie all'intervento di Papa Alessandro VI (che scomunicς addirittura la famiglia originaria di Gaeta), completarono il maniero con altre opere di fortificazione che comprendevano anche la realizzazione della Cittadella.

thanks Fellini

ciakgiak, gentedilivello, macondo, jlbrthnn, JT50, Sistercosmo, crckt, paololg, chpp, tafa έχουν(ει) επιλέξει αυτή τη σημείωση ως χρήσιμη

Photo Information
Viewed: 7142
Points: 56
Discussions
Additional Photos by Giorgio Clementi (Clementi) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 3694 W: 437 N: 9370] (52514)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH