Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great holmertz 2018-11-11 2:13

Hello Paul,
It's a superb view but it doesn't look like it was taken from a very high point. But considering the sweating and sighing it must have been quite high. Similar to my last photo from Cefalω there were good views even without climbing to the highest point. The branches and the highest cloud are nice features that fill the upper part well. I wonder what will happen to the plans of digging a canal across Nicaragua. Will it prove to be too expensive and too environmentally hazardous? And will the canal really be needed?
Best regards,
Gert

Old 11-11-2018, 04:33 PM
TE Expert

Default To holmertz: point of view / canal

Thank you Gert,

The point of view wasn't indeed very high.

Only the last part involved some climbing. But it was already tiring on the lower-lying ground in the forest.
Much depends on your physical condition. I don't have enough exercise during my daily work life and I do feel that on my journeys. On the other hand, I note that there are still more people who don't want to start such a hike and prefer to stay near the lake or a swimming pool even when they've taken a long-distance flight to reach these places.

I do not know how far advanced the plans for the canal are. However, there is opposition from various groups that are concerned about the environment.
There are other (smaller) plans for different kind of projects in the unexplored wooded area in the east of the country which also have a lot of resistance. Various groups want to protect nature and the habitat of minority groups and of different animal species. I've taken pictures of demonstrations in Granada but given the current political climate I don't dare to show them since people can be recognized on it.

Best regards,
Paul