Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great willperrett 2014-08-20 3:11

Hello Trevor

You've developed quite a portfolio of these dramatic monochromes. I wonder if you remember using a red filter in order to darken skies? I suppose it's possible that you still use this technique, though I assume these days you use Photoshop or similar. Although it's "unnatural", b/w is inherently "false" anyway, so allowing a great deal of interpretive and creative latitude. But for me you're right on the edge of the cliff where drama tumbles into the abyss of melodrama. You're teetering on the edge. Don't jump!

Kind regards

Will

Old 08-21-2014, 01:08 PM
TE Newbie

Smile To willperrett: Into the abyss I go

Hi Will,
Thanks for your critiques. Always appreciated even if you decide to get stuck into it. Its best that you give an honest opinion and I can rely on you for that. I do take notice, and I have adjusted some of my processing steps because of your critiques. However, I probably have a different view of photography than you. I am not interested as much in documentary, recording photography.
I have added a workshop and extra notes so that you can see the original and what I did to get the final image. Many B&W images on TE are pretty bland and the change in tones across objects are not so distinct. In my processing I aim to achieve a good tonal range while making the objects in the image stand out from each other.
Thanks again for your interest and concern.
Warm regards,
Trevor
Old 08-21-2014, 07:47 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Tonal range

Hi Trevor

I'm absolutely with you on contrast and getting a wide tonal range, especially in B/W. I hope I'm not in the bland camp! As ever, it's all a question of degree. I do much the same as you, but I also have started to use Nik Silver FX Pro. Have you come across this plug-in? I don't use the pre-sets, mind you.

Will