To ACL1978: Serious PP exercise - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great ACL1978 2013-04-07 7:58

Looks like an amazing spot, Russ. Your capture, especially given the presence of the woman and dog, really expresses the wide open scale of the place. Sounds like an amazing spot - one of those you wish more people knew about, but also one where you hope they don't find out and clog it up!

Thanks,
Andrew

Old 04-08-2013, 03:59 PM
TE Senior Member

Talking To ACL1978: Serious PP exercise

Thanks, Andrew! I was afraid this shot would draw comments for all the PP work. One of the best things about my participation in TE has been the daily exercise in picking a foto and prepping it for TE. Prior to this, I had not engaged in much PP. I was kinda smug (and somewhat wrong) in thinking that I was old school and believed you just had to get it right, in the camera. I have now learned that you DO have to get it right in the camera, but there is an amazing range of PP that can be applied, and that if it is done right, it will improve on the raw image. If it is done wrong, on the other hand... ;-)

Anyhow, the tones in this shot were incredibly flat. The sun was high and bright (you can see it in the hot reflections in the tidal pools), there were very few shadows, and most of this part of Baja is pretty monochrome brown most of the year. I tried to add some depth by burning the more distant hills (on the right) and dodging the exposed rock faces. Dodge the greenery a bit, saturate the reds a bit, and you begin to see what I saw as I was standing there.

Thanks also for recognizing the importance (compositionally!) of "the woman and the dog." They are also quite important to me personally -- you'll see them again in my foto "El Malecσn de La Paz" and may recognize the dog as my avatar portrait. (She is "Chispa.")

Finally, let me check Google Earth for the elevation of those hills, just to give you a reliable quantification of the scale of the place.

Best regards,
Russ
Austin, Texas
Old 04-08-2013, 10:39 PM
TE Junior Member

Sure enough - PP is a tool like any other, and must be used judiciously like any other, but it can have wonderful effect. Shooting in RAW tends to remove that particular issue for me, as every photo requires some level of fussing to do what the camera would do naturally if it were a jpg.

And good to know that the figures in the shot were not simply lost among the flats, but connected to you instead! My wife has found her way into a couple shots here as well...

Andrew