To Edwin: Stairwells built in 19th century - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Edwin 2004-02-10 13:40

Wonderful organic shapes and geometrical composition! And an amazing colour toning Eva! The yellow, orange and brown works very well together, a pleasant colour palette. Congrats!
I which kind of buildings do you find these stairwells? From which year/period are they?

Old 02-10-2004, 08:56 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To Edwin: Stairwells built in 19th century

Hi Edwin. Call me snoopy, but I like to stick my head into open doorways when I travel to see a slice of life and get to know the real city. I think these building were built either at the end of the 19th or beginning of the 20th century. They are multi story apartment buildings, usually built around an inner courtyard in large cities, like Budapest. There are a lot of these old houses on the main streets of Pest, which haven't been torn down yet to make way for high-rises. In 1995 many were still quite rundown. Peeling plaster, musty corridors, etc. But I think now they have been renovated. This stairwell is particularly tiny, that's why I shot it. The fancy wrought iron railing suggests it was once an upper middle-class house. I think there was even a broken-down elevator.