To trekks: Kilimanjaro - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great trekks 2008-05-19 2:40

hi Marlene

Wow! You made it to Kilimanjaro! I was thinking of making a plan to visit this place next year and you have already set foot there! Nice view at 5895m! I like this shot. Higher than Mt Kinabalu and I was told it takes more days to reach this summit.

tfs, bill
later

Old 05-19-2008, 03:26 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To trekks: Kilimanjaro

Hi Bill
Yes 5 days up and 2 days down. I went on the not so popular Rongai route which starts in the north near the Kenyan border and the track goes via the jagged peak of Mawenzi. It was very picturesque and allowed time to acclimatise. We returned by the Marangu route (also known as coca-cola route) and so there was much variety.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:18 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: To trekks: Kilimanjaro

Hello

You are really adventurous. I heard the cost is quite high for a trip here? Cheers
Old 05-21-2008, 10:12 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To trekks: Kilimanjaro

Hi Bill
The National Park fees alone were as I recall $(US)635 and this is included in the cost of any tour. I booked through an Australian company which I thought had reasonable fees - in Tanzania this company was called 'Zara'. I can't complain as my guide knew I was very determined to get to the summit and he got me there dispite my experiencing effects of the altitude. I did not find it physically hard (compared with the Kokoda Track in PNG) but the reduced oxygen caused problems from the second day. I would not have risked my life to get to the summit but I was very determined. My guide did expect a big tip at the end for himself and the porters and I have since read on the internet that this company 'Zara' does not look after their porters.
I hope you go - I had hoped to trek Kilimanjaro for 15 years before I made the decision that now is the time.
Good Luck, Marlene