To danielswalsh: Thanks - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great danielswalsh 2007-10-23 17:48

Hey John;

I really like this one- especially the fact that there is practically no noise. Now I reckon that some noise removal software is at play here (can tell by that clean look), I wonder how there is such a difference in the level of noise in your shots John.
This one is excellent (in my opinion), but some of the others- I feel it's a real detriment to your otherwise good photographic skills...
Maybe it's just time to upgrade- maybe to the 40D?? ;-)

Nice composition, good tonal range and realistic colors all make for a pleasing shot. i like the feathering of the clouds..

Nice one!
- Dan (50 days to go)

Old 10-24-2007, 02:44 AM
TE Senior Member

Default To danielswalsh: Thanks

Hi Dan,
For some reason I find morning light much easier and softer to handle, including the noise factor, than evening light. Do you have any thoughts about that? I often find evening light too brittle or intense. Perhaps I should be compensating in my settings. I note that Jaap (Carper) is getting good results in his landscapes with ISO levels of 200 these days. I am often drawn to the higher ISO level in order to obtain greater contrast, which of course increases the propensity for noise. Let me know your views. I know your 5D allows for an ISO of 50, unlike most digitals. Do you use that setting very often?
Cheers, Dan.
John
Old 10-24-2007, 02:55 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: To johnc: Thanks

Hmmmm... I'm not sure how the evenign light would cause an increase in noise- other then maybe if you were to shoot in auto mode where the camera would adjust the ISO to compensate for less light. Do you have 2 photos taken with the same ISO level- one clean, one noisy? Just makes no sense does it...

I must admit- I was not aware of the relation between contrast and ISO. In general- I try and shoot with as low ISO as possible. Yes, I do use 50 (listed as 'L') when it warrants it, as with 3200 ('H') in some extreme cases.

I was shooting a concert a couple nights ago, and for that I go to aperature priority with as low F/stop as possible (f/2.8 for the lens I was using), I set the ISO to 1600 (previous experience from that lighting situation), and the camera goes for the fastest shutter speed.

Cheers!
- Dan
Old 10-25-2007, 05:48 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: To johnc: Thanks

Sorry to intrude John and Daniel
Personaly, always used the Canon noise reduction of my camera, and as much as possible ISO 100. I have use ISO up to 800 and even 1600, with good result.

If you do not know where it is, you will find it in the menu, under " personnel configuration" (I work from memory) and I think it is number2 or 12.
Just be warned that if you take a 2 second time picture, it will take the same time to process.

Take care both of you
Charles