Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great david 2006-05-05 6:29

heya jos,

great shot of the guard at the forbidden city. this looks like a tough photo, your aperture is wide open but your shutterspeed is only 500. must have been bad weather.

getting your shutterspeed up would have been good, to capture his hand in perfect focus.

digital cameras, by nature, tend to have a slight grey fog over the shot when it comes out. so it's generally a good idea to do some post processing to edit it out.

i've done two workshops. one shows the difference between processed and unprocessed photos ... the other is a 'finished product' ... :)

Old 04-25-2007, 12:59 AM
TE Newbie

Default To david: Re: post processing

I think the workshop here turned out a bit surreal. While it is true that photos from a digital cameras often have a kind of grey gloom when comparing to traditional cameras, one must not forget that Beijing is one of the gloomiest and most gray capitals you will ever see. The thick smog, concrete palette and typical overcast sometimes creates an eerie twilight zone on the ground.

I think the post processing did a great job in bringing out the red colour of the gate to the Forbidden City, it livened up the face of the MP a bit, but Chairman Mao was turned into a carrot! I believe it can be easy to get carried away in post processing and wanting to enhance we sometimes end up detracting from the photo instead.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:22 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To david: Re: post processing

I fully agree with Johan. The carrot Mao doesn't look good. The post prosessing is truly needed for this photo but more moderately. Simply adding some contrast and sharpness would probably have been enouhg.

It would have been nice to have the pointing finger sharp. The aperture was a bit too large and gave a narrow depth of field - or the hand was moving. There is one way to handle this: Use higer ISO and both smaller aperture and higer shutter speed, if possible. But these situations come fast and you need luck.