To ben4321: Hi Ben, - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great ben4321 2006-12-21 5:18

I'm not sure about the square crop here Alexander, I think shooting in landscape format and including more of the bridge and canal bank on the left would have worked better.
The light on the tree and gateway is very attractive, so it's a bit of a shame that you didn't take this slightly earlier (or later) when that area of shadow at the bottom of the frame wasn't there. It would have been great if that winter light was on the bridge and canal bank as well.
I'm also not sure about the slight greenish tinge to the blue sky, possible a result of slight over-exposure. It all goes back to those shadows. If they hadn't been there, the exposure difference between the darkest and brightest areas would have been less, bringing the bright sky within the limits of the sensor in your camera.
After all this negativity you must think that I don't like this at all. Not so. It's an attractive canal side scene, typically Dutch, and I just think that with a slight change to the framing and with kinder light, this would have been even better.

Cheers,
Ben

Old 12-22-2006, 01:33 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To ben4321: Hi Ben,

Thank you for your excellent and useful critique, always much appreciated! You are one of those who really take time to explore a photograph and to give advice... Now, about the shadows - well, it was actually the reason why I hesitated whether to upload the photo at all... I have worked on them a bit in PP but of course one cannot fix everything in PP... And about the square format - I have made the shot in horisontal format from the beginning, but cropped it afterwards from the right and from the left to "clean up" the composition, removing some unneccessary things, and to offcenter the gate.