Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Good lee-0 2006-09-29 18:08

With some playing around with color curves, darkening filters and sharpening, you can even make a few more details visible. Unfortunately, I don΄t know how to upload an image for a workshop to show you what comes out.

When shooting subjects that have a larger range of brightness like this one has, I΄m trying to measure the brighter and the darker areas (eventually with spot metering) to see what the camera suggests. That can help in finding a medium exposure which will render the bright areas less bright and the darker areas not too dark. (Once a decision for a certain exposure is made, it can (must) be set manually.)

Care must be taken not to underexpose the lighter areas too much because they may look just grey then. The same is with the overexposure of dark areas which will also look gray instead of black when overexposed too much.

In case the contrast range is too large but the illumination cannot be changed, a change of POV or not capturing the extremely bright areas at all may help. There are also filters that can be used to shade a part of the lense to darken the brighter parts of the subject --- but I don΄t have such a filter yet, so I can΄t tell how useful they are. Another option is to use a film camera because film can still cover a much larger contrast range than digital cameras do --- that΄s especially true for black and white film.

Besides, please notice the edge of the building in the lower right corner of the picture. Maybe it would have been better to point the camera more to the left or to get a step closer so that the corner won΄t have been taken into the frame.

Old 10-01-2006, 11:24 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To lee-0: Hi,

Dear Lee,
Mant thanks for you detailed notice on my bridge photo.
That was so useful for me, I wish to have your further guides on rest of my photographes.
Wishing you the Best,

Javad.