Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great BennyV 2016-04-08 0:53

Hello John

Wow...for me, this newspaper-style documentary shot is the best picture of your second coming here, so far.

The background is telling, and the miserability of the day is reflected in the looks of these three workers.

What I like most in the picture, is the contrast between 'steel' and 'paper'. These men deal with steel and they're rightfully angry...yet, they stand there, looking harmless and polite, holding a paper protest sign in their hands. It's as if they're posing quite relunctantly, not even able to really hold UP the sign. They don't really seem to believe in their cause any more.

Or am I readng too much into the picture now?

Whatever, I find this a most fascinating picture. I love it.

Benny

Old 04-08-2016, 10:31 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To BennyV: the cause

Hi Benny
Thanks for the comments,
In some ways i think you nailed it spot on the head. They were defeated and down at that point with no buyer for the plant and no hope i feel they had given up hope.

I engaged the union on a documentary piece, documenting the faces of the last steel men (and women) of Motherwell.
The men did not seem enamoured by it and wouldn't commit to it.
I wanted to do it as an archive.
With Motherwell losing its last steel works the faces and names of those workers should have ben preserved for posterity.
It would have been a good piece but as i said they wouldn't commit to it.
The plant has been saved for now though many of the workforce had already gone by the point the national government finally stepped in to help them.
I know that feeling of hopelessness in a redundancy situation. After 10 years working in the same organisation i was made redundant last year. So i fully emphasise with them.

I have many more to come :-)
My photography has changed a lot since i took up the mantle of digital again about 8 or 9 years ago.
But i still love documenting people in their environments
John
Old 04-08-2016, 02:42 PM
TE Expert

Thanks for this reply, John.