Thailand for a young female not interested in partying... - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 01-24-2005, 05:39 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Thailand for a young female not interested in partying...

...or beaches.

I think this would be an appropriate forum to post - as compared to the LP TT :) I am going to Thailand (Bangkok) for work for several weeks. Leaving this Sunday. I have never been to SouthEast Asia, I was always focused on South Asia... and still I would like to use this opportunity to get acquainted with a new country or even a region.

I am not into beach holidays (boring), partying (I am in early 30s and I have partied extensively in my time but by now it's no longer seems exciting) or Thai women (or men). I am not into Buddhism or meditation or yoga, although I have studied Theravada Buddhism extensively, again, in my ownt time. I supposed I could do with a massage, once in a while, but I hate it when a complete stranger forces onto me for a "physical massage" as I read in my guidebook... I like shopping but not as a hobby, more like a necessity.

so, what else is there for me to do and where to go during weekends and time off work? thank you in advance for your advice.

a couple of things I am vagulely interested is trekking in the jungle in the North (can you share your exp if you have done this) or getting Thai cooking classes in Bangkok.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:29 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Thailand for a young female

Hi Olga

There are many photo opportunities in Thailand--temples, Thai classical dancing, palaces, etc.

I worked in Thailand for three years in the nineties and have made a number of good friends there. They always take care of me whenever I visit.

I'm actually going to Bangkok for a few days next week to just "shoot" for fun. My principal destination is the floating market about two hours away from Bangkok.

If you want to join me, send me an email.

Regards.

Ning
Old 02-12-2005, 05:58 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Ning,

many thanks for your reply... I'm in the end of my second week in Thailand, and I have made peace with myself :) and the country :))
after I have recovered from the jet lag I quickly organised a long weekend up North and did the Mae Hong Son loop (self-drive) and loved the Northern Hills. I am looking forward going back there. This weekend is BKK but next weekend I am going to Mae Sot, for another out-of-city weekend. Thank you for the invite but I will most likely not be able to join you, as I will be in Mae Sot. Enjoy the floating market trip!!

rgds
Olga
Old 02-26-2005, 08:52 AM
TE Newbie

Hi Olga,

BKK can be overpowering at times but actually has a lot of charm
and doesens of beauty spots ...

My favorite places to stroll are through the maze of lanes in China town or with the river bus up or down the Chao Phraya river ...

Ayutthaya the old capital of Siam is a great place for a weekend - if you love ruins,and you can combine with a visit to the Palace at Bang Pa-In.

Issaan - the North East,sees few visitors and has some amazing and very friendly people,national parks,and impressive Khmer ruins at Phanom Rung and Phimai.

Weekend is probably not enough,but Laos is amazing,very beautifull country,hill-tribes,mountains,waterfalls, and Luang Pabang is a charming town with an old colonial feel to it .

Last but not least ... ANGKOR ... If you fly you can just get barely
sufficient time for the ruins and area 3-4 days although a week would be better.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:17 AM
TE Newbie

Hi Olga

I see you are probably already in Thiland by now. If you are interested in learning to cook Thai food, I highly recommend Thai House. It is in the suburbs of Bangkok. I have been there three times and it is on my list of places to go again. Pip, the owner, is a wonderful teacher and takes good care of you. Here is the url in case you want to check it our some more. http://www.thaihouse.co.th/thai_cuisine.html If you go, tell Pip hello from David in Texas.

I'm very envious. I would love to be back in Thailand again. By the way, the massages at Wat Po in Bangkok are very inexpensive and refreshing. Give them a try.

David
Old 05-14-2005, 12:08 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Thailand for a young female...

Plenty of side trips from BKK, and you already been adventuring pretty nicely in the North and west, so you know your way now. Issan is cool, but if you can speak thai a bit, it's better. The people are even more the reason to go there than the sights, if interested, try the Mekhong river smaller cities, like Mukdahan.
If I may, in case you are not sure to come back in this side of the world for a while, do take a week-end to visit, morning and sunset, the most magical place in SEA, the Shwedagon pagoda, in Yangoon, Myanmar. you will never regret the expense, which is not that much anyway, and hotels are plentiful, clean and cheap in town. You'll need a visa of course, do have an agency do it for you, unless you like to waste a morning queueing in a consulate.

Angkor wat is great too, but it's old stones. if one choice, I'd recommend Shwedagon, it's alive with the beauty and kindness of the burmese people walking about with their families.

Herve
Old 05-14-2005, 12:20 PM
TE Expert

oops!... Shouda looked at your gallery before, look like you've been to Mynamar before. Congratulations, then. ;-)
H
Old 06-08-2005, 07:17 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Thailand & more

So my old thread is back... now I can report where I eventually got to:

long weekend self-drive Chiang Mai-Mae Hong Song-Mae Sariang... saw the long neck tribe!! magical sunsets and of course great night bazaar in Chiang Mai

flew into Mae Sot and crossed into Burma for a day...

flew into Udon Thani and hired a car (I am a bit of a car junkie) and drove up to Mekong river and along the river bank to Chiang Khan - very relaxing place they say close to Laos in culture... magical sunrise on Mekong

went to Koh Chang for a long weekend and Hua Hin for another, got some sun tan in the process

Some weekends I stayed in BKK and learnt to love the city, its incredible mix of modern and traditional, rich and poor, and always very, very humble... my fav place to stop by was Erawan shrine :)
Old 07-03-2005, 07:50 AM
TE Newbie

Hi Olga, I recently came back from Bangkok a week ago, that was my third trip there. A few things you could do is visit the temples (for photo opportunities) eg. the Grand Palace (I will be posting some new images, but might not be on this site.. do email me and I will keep you updated ya!) or you could travel about 1 1/2 hours away to the Floating market for an interesting shopping experience.People sell stuff off their boats along the river. You can hop into one of the boats (for a fee of course!)..travel down river -not a very long stretch tho, and take interesting pictures there. But it is a rather long drive, up to you to decide whether you'd want to.

As for a thai massage, it is really nice... instead of getting the traditional thai massage, you can get the oil massage, they don't twist you into funny positions nor jump on you (hah!)... but it's rather soothing.
Grace