To ryo: Chateau Pano - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great ryo 2008-03-13 2:41

Hi Charles!

You beat me to it! I have discovered this vantage point recently and I intend to go there when the days are at their longest, to have some sun on the northern faηades of the castle...

Now about the present picture: I like the idea of a false HDR, even though it has risks as well, most notably in making noise appear in the darker zones of the image, artificially brought up... What strikes me here is that those dark parts are still very dark - but it can well be the uncalibrated monitor in the staff room ;)

Another problem is the blue cast in the image overall. I don't know if it comes from the HDR processing or not, but it is there, undoubtedly, especially in the white parts on the right of the castle. And the bit of white faηade in the sun seems (again to be taken with a pinch of salt due to my monitor) to be overexposed.

But overall, a nice pano work! I just wonder why you ended up mixing no less than ten shots? How big is your final document before web resizing?

Cheers, and thanks for sharing!
Olivier

Old 03-14-2008, 12:42 PM
TE Newbie

Default To ryo: Chateau Pano

Hi Olivier,

Yes I think you are right about all of your comments.

The blue cast is a constant problem for me because it seems to run about 50% for and 50% against the heavy blue tint. More serξous photographers and art-critiques :) don't generally like the heavy blue cast but many others seem to prefer the blue tint. The blue cast was simply the result of adjusting the brightness / contrast in PhotoShop CS3 to bring out the drama in the clouds.

The reason for 10 images is that I take nearly all of my panoramas in portrait orientation with an 18mm lens. This yields a 22° FOV minus overlap; or about 18° per image. So a 180° panorama needs about 10 pictures.

The vertical FOV should be around 76° but I have heavily cropped the image to remove the commercial centre and buildings along Ecluse. The full image that includes Ecluse is an interesting pano as well because there is a very strong sense of perspective. The only problem is that it shifts the point of interest away from the Chateau. But I may post the other image as a Workshop. (Posting it seperately appears to violate the TOS of TE).

As for the false HDR, this was my first attempt and I think that you are right again about the lower area still being too dark. When I get a chance I think I'll rework the pano to bring down the blue, bring up the lightness in the foreground and see if I have an image where the face of the Chateau is not blown out. (I used the jpegs rather than the raw files so I should be able to get more dynamic range if I use the raw images.)

BTW: I have a few more images of Neuchatel on my website that I have not posted to TE) http://www.cwlupica.com

Thanks for your comments and your interest.
Charlie