Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 11-20-2010, 07:59 AM
TE Junior Member

Default I΄m worried about TE

When I joined TE about three yeras ago I found a very active and lively community of inspired and ambitious photographers exchanging ideas, visions, dreams, tips, worries. People knew each other, took care of each other, met each other in the real world, did things together. TE was a kind of home-base for all kinds of activities, and it was easy and pleasant to join.

In these three years I had the pleasure to meet many TE members - it may be 30 or even more, never counted them. I went to meetings in other countries, I helped a little bit organizeing them here. Some of the Romanian members became really good friends, some of them I meet almost every week. This has nothing to do with TE any more, but it is here where it started.

This is what TE could do. This is what TE still could do today. It just doesn΄t do that any more.

Somewhere in this three years something went wrong. Slowly, slowly conflicts between members and administrators and owners started building up. The first troubling signes I saw were related to Polonaise, who΄s a guy with many colors, maybe too many for this community at that time, but still he was one of the flagships of TE. He was the first one I saw leaving in anger, and I didn΄t like that at all.

More followed, and after the exitus of the last days I start wondering who΄s actually left. And it΄s the best ones who leave. I think all the alarm bells should be ringing now at the administrators and owners. You΄re losing your most attractive members here, those that attracted many others and kept the site alive.

I΄m not a big shot on TE, but in real life, I΄m a quite successful business consultant. Actually, I΄m an excellent consultant . As a consultant, allow me to give you a little advice: you΄re on a sinking ship here. We, the members, are your suppliers and your customers. You should take better care of us. If you start losing us, you will lose it all. With each of the old battlehorses like JY turning their back on TE you lose a large number of others who lose interest in the site. (Come on, guys, JY was your member nr. 1, and you just let him leave like that? Is there anybody out there?) I used to be a daily visitor of TE, now I show up once in a while, sporadically posting a photo. Whenever I see that someone else who I knew quite well has left, my interest in TE decreases even further.

Still, I do care - today I was so disturbed by what I found that I thought I΄d write this.

Take care, Johannes
Old 11-20-2010, 08:30 AM

Bonjour Joannes,

It's nice to read that piece of "excellent consultancy"
And I agree we made mistakes and sometimes handled too closely to the rules but I would like to quote Kaj again:

As I see it, we have the TE rules on what, when and how to post our photos, in order to prevent this site from becoming "just another place to dump your holiday snaps".

That's what makes TE so special. Take away those rules, and what do we get? Right! Just another...

So maybe, as Maria/Docarmo said it previously, "In my humble opinion, I think everything has been already said about these recent events and we start repeating statements. I'm not bored, but I'm afraid the patience of everybody could start being weak. Maybe, it is time to rest a little. Because when we are too tired, we begin to coordinate our thoughts not very well." and I'll add "let's go on and learn from our mistakes".

PS:
Quote:
(Come on, guys, JY was your member nr. 1, and you just let him leave like that? Is there anybody out there?)
Don't forget that JY also was one of our best mods, we'll miss him too you know...
Old 11-20-2010, 10:53 AM

I we, the mods, weren't acknowledging the fact that there are problems to resolve we, the mods, would not have initiated the topic 'Clearing the air' as a vehicle for all participants to put forward their thoughts.
As a consultant you must appreciate that things don't change overnight, and that in most situations it is best to collect all the available information before acting. Acting in haste, 'knee jerk reaction', more often than not fails to provide a long term solution. There are many elements to be considered, but one thing remains constant - even if rules change there will still be parameters to work within.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:16 PM
TE Expert

Default To Johannes

I totally agree with u,Johannes,
I didnt know about JY ,since me not anymore active here, because of too many mistakes made by administrators which didnt understood is not good to change something what is already working well
TE was a home for us,now is just a site
If JY gone now.....u ,the owners must start think what u did so wrong
Some of inactive members waiting a sign to remember the OLD TE'S SPIRIT
Thanks again to all TE friends for wonderful moments,meetings here
Still with love ,
Isabela
Old 11-21-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabela_sor View Post
I totally agree with u,Johannes,
I didnt know about JY ,since me not anymore active here, because of too many mistakes made by administrators ... If JY gone now.....u ,the owners must start think what u did so wrong
Bonsoir Isabela,

One thing that nobody wants to hear - or read - as you're talking again about JY is that he was one of our Mod Team, just like Didi. I read on FB they came out with their job on TE, so I can now say you can't involve just a few persons in your accusations of "doing wrong". Of course it's easy when things are "going wrong" to run away and let us fix the problems...
Old 11-21-2010, 06:50 PM

* * * Again, I want to invite all of you, the persons who are worrying about TE and who still have questions, to join the "Clearing the air" thread.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:27 PM
TE Expert

Default To Viviane

we all have tried to say our opinions during last 2 !
And i think if someone from moderators or administrators enough patient to read again the whole forum will find brilliant ideas to use to make again TE what it used to be
and we all care ,Viviane, but people getting tired if they speak and nobody listen
and as Johannes gave u ideas as a great consultant ( because he is so) i am speaking only as an ordinary lawyer ,
But first of all we are here TE members, which made this site so great for long time,with our efforts,our comments and our pics( no matter we only amateurs ) and especially with our LOVE
and remember we have been patient, even if nobody listening us ( i am an example)
best regards
Old 11-22-2010, 03:57 PM
TE Junior Member

Default TE admins should read and learn from what Johannes says!

Johannes is giving the best analysis I have seen so far of the TE problems, exactly my thoughts but I'm too lazy to put them down...

Some of the mods have the awkward attitude that the members should be grateful for TE... In modern marketing your business won't last for long if this is your philosophy!

Another photo site where I am posting (more and more) send me mail wondering what happens if I don't publish for some time, and they are stimulating critiques as this is the heart blood of any photo site.

In TE you feel like a criminal sometimes, and I think the number of crits given is limited - even if everybody can see the activity is diving...
Old 11-22-2010, 07:05 PM
TE Expert

Default Sinking ship

Johannes hit the nail on the head! Well done - but I think uselessly.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:03 PM
TE Senior Member

Default issues

Hi,
I have posted for 3 years and seen so many leave of late. The issue of moderating is fine, but we seem to be moderating and having conflict with the best photographers on TE, these are the people who's quality, experimentation and sense of sharing drove me to join this site.
In an ironic sense, the aim to moderate so as not to make this another 'holiday snap site' has in fact, started to turn it into that.
We are losing the artists, the storytellers, the people with vision, and we get something closer to holiday snaps as a replacement. I used to reccomend my friend to TE, and many have told me of late they see it has lost some quality, and a sense of sharing, in a real sense, not just point-sharing.
TE used to be something that drove me to learn photography but I am losing intrest each day as so many friends disappear, and when they take themselves away, TE loses it's key asset, the contibutor.
For me, I think some rules of moderation need review, to open the site up to quality experimantation, as Trek lens (which I have tried) lacks the punch of TE. I also think the points system may need to be reviewed, and yes I know it can be turned off, but I think the smileys do drive many of us to distraction. We want genuine critiques.
Kind Regards (and good to see so many people with passion for this site still here)
Justin