Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 02-09-2005, 07:48 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Every time you click the shutter, ...

haha well....
i'm pretty sick of studying so photography is a good excuse for running away from studies.. i'm no way a politician.. i suffer from a bad case of stage fright :)
also about writing sometimes i end up writing trash , because sometimes i don't think while writing , i just write whatever i feel at that particular moment, and i don't check my posts before uploading them, so if the post is a long one, there is a high chance that my thoughts get mixed up. so don't be surprised if even this post is a pretty confusing and a jumbled up one :)

about JFK haha i was only joking.. i was just being silly so that i didn't end with a serious tone.

there's no denying this gal. see i'm not talking about creating masterpieces or anything here.. , but i was hoping that people would take photographs for themselves first and then TE.

i hope i'm not being too petty in anyway here by giving the example of eugene . what i really like about him, is that his photographs are extremely personal and he's giving an entirely new perspective to TE.

my issue about TE getting better if people contributed more to TE was not that they do anything extra (and this was for the more experienced photographers), just that whenever you goto take a photograph.. try not to think of what TE will like, but first what you like.

it's a little difficult to explain this without giving examples and i dont really want to name anyone.. so i guess i can't explain this too well. but there are some amazing photographers here who post some amazing photographs and these are the photographs that they like. but if they don't get much attention they get a little disappointed, so i was hoping that they don't give up on their style and post what most people on TE want to see
because unless people don't see new styles ,new perspectives etc, they won't be able to appreciate it and i think this is a long term process, so there is a high possibility that for these new styles, visions etc to be accepted, it will take a really long time. but then maybe some of the photographers can continue to post what they want to, even if they don't get as much attention as they'd like.

i hope im not sounding condescending or anything i don't mean to and if i am i'm extremely sorry.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:07 PM
TE Expert

i forgot to mention swiatek
he's someone else who shoots for himself, but shares his work with others :)
Old 02-09-2005, 08:10 PM
TE Junior Member

It's all about discerning what makes a popular shot (just look at the high-scorers) and then deciding if that style is what's true to your heart. It's been a struggle for me (who doesn't want ALL the points!?) but I realize that I have some "money shots" in my collection I haven't even posted because it seems like the praise wouldn't be in response to my style, my passion, but rather a kind of Pavlovian response some people seem to have to sunsets, etc. I wouldn't feel like they were loving me, the true ME. So I'd rather have three people I really respect enjoy my photos than have a ton of people I don't know giving me points.

Refine your own vision and damn the masses.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:32 PM

yes, his photos are sooo cool ;) I wish my compositions were as bold as his.
and I wish he was more active here, then his "score" would be much higher ;)
Old 02-09-2005, 08:42 PM
TE Expert

Pup....

I don't know if you've read Machiavel, or Sun Tzu, or even Clausewitz (some very old uninteresting suckers) ... but if I were you, I wouldn't EVER understimate the masses. Not suggesting you to become a sheep... but we usually start listening to ourselves AFTER we have learnt to listen to others. Remember that Pavlov only put in evidence a very HUMAN behaviour...

One thing I perfectly agree with you: we should always TEND to refine our own vision!... gosh..how the hell should we do that??
Old 02-09-2005, 08:49 PM
TE Expert

you have some alex webb in your gallery as well :)

by the way that guy who was recommending india on "thorntree" was me hehe
but shhhhh i dont wanna disclose my identity there
Old 02-09-2005, 08:55 PM
TE Expert

I think that this thread is very interesting, and it is also very helpful to everyone to think, and determine what is one`s current state in everyone`s learning curve regarding photography and what is the main goal of each person.

And that is why I guess this has only an answer which shall be given by every TEr as we are all pursuing different goals, and also have very different skill levels, different opportunities to take pictures (I can only once every two weeks now), etc etc.

To me pointing out the fact mentioned at Avis thread is very important. Bringing out to the board the fact that one can be stagnating and being "influenced" by an accepted TE style, is very nice, and a reason for a reflection.
The countermeasures decided after the analysis are of course, individual decisions and ALL of them are ok. Noone is obliged to reach the same conclusion and take the same measures. There is no good and wrong here.

I personally respect every one`s decision, if one pursuits points; time shared with friends, knowledge, not only about photography but also from places, food, traditions, etc etc, if one pursuits perfection, if a TEr loves landscapes only I do not believe he should be stoned or disrespected, neither should be treated as an ignorant. Maybe this person simply does not want to become a HCB or does not have the time or opportunity.
Every thing is ok.

It is up every one to decide what to follow, what to do, what to enjoy. There is nothing wrong here. Where others may see sins, I do not see, it is only about freedom and understanding other`s decisions and respecting them.

I will not damm the masses. I think we have to bless them. Out there surely something will end up being helpful.

To me, being here is a matter of joy.

K.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:04 PM
TE Expert

okkkkk
i may be wrong, but i don't think lisan meant to be as agressive as she sounded when she said "damn the masses". she was just trying to put her point across i guess.
infact when she liked a photograph of mine once, she mentioned that she felt like punching something because it wans't hers.. yes a little scary , but after a while you realise that its just her spirit and not that she really has anything against the masses.

i repeat i maybe wrong !!
Old 02-09-2005, 09:06 PM
TE Junior Member

Gal, you are one heavy Swiss. Switzerlander. Swiss guy. Whatever. Fondue-eater.

I was being a little bombastic with my last statement... I'm not some kind of anarchist BUT... when it comes to art, you really have to balance your own vision against what the masses want. Many artists thoughout history stand out now precisely because they could do that. Matisse or Picasso, to pick some rather overused examples.

Of course that doesn't mean that anyone who has a vision and stays true to it is going to be good. I'm sure a lot of utter crap is generated that way. But what is a world without crap? (Remember Kundera: kitsch is the denial of shit.)

And by saying that one should examine the things that DO get points, I'm suggesting you don't throw the importance of the masses out the window! Just check and see if their bag is your bag, baby! As Austin Powers might say (as long as we're airing our cultural laundry...).

Now if you don't mind, I've got some packing to do...

I have to say, you're keeping my day interesting ;)
Old 02-09-2005, 09:07 PM
TE Expert

Default hahahahaha!

do not worry sohrab I understand her and you, everything is ok!!!

and you are not wrong at all,

;)

K.