Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-21-2004, 09:28 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Anyone interested in trek to Myanmar

Very interesting! Wonder why the FEC get higher rate the the $? Maybe because of all the counterfeit dollars around...
Old 05-21-2004, 04:31 PM
TE Senior Member

I wonder....

As I recall the FEC/kyat exchange rate was a bit worse than the dollar/kyat rate when the FEC purchase requirement disappeared. The FEC exchange rate only increased after the requirement was dropped.

I wonder if there are things that the locals can only purchase/pay for with FEC (like in the 'Friendship Stores' in China). If that's the case then the demand for FEC would be forced up.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:13 PM
TE Newbie

Yes Phil and Bob. FEC is required to pay like cell-phone, Internet connection bills and other import/export items such as computer and electronic equipments. $$$ is not much used in trade now because of US ban on it except in personal use, $ trade and gold purchase.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:12 PM
TE Junior Member

Latest update:

Date: about to be changed, probably to 20-27 November (this is because our Burmese photogrpaher-guru, U Thi Ha, is busy with another group till 18 November - but he still has to confirm with me this new date).

Cost: Because we dropped the English-speaking guide, the cost is now $324 each on a share basis, and $20 extra if you want a personal private room (this on the basis of 6 participants plus U Thi Ha - if more people come, the price drops again...slightly).

Hotels:
In Yangon, the Queen'a Park Hotel, superior standard room - see their website http://www.myanmars.net/queenspark/
In Mandalay, the ET hotel (they don't seem to have a website, but I've stayed there, it's ok tho nothing to write home about).
In Bagan: New Park hotel - no website, seems to be in Nyaung Oo, which is the big village on the edge of Bagan.

Email coming to particiapnts.
Old 05-29-2004, 03:59 AM
TE Newbie

Hi Philip and all,

Around last week of November, there is Ballon festival in Taung Gyi. In the fullmoon night of November, lot of ethnic groups of Shan state will gather at the pagoda where the festival is held. I am sure you are going to have lot of photo opportunities there.

I know there are famous Burmese photo gurus in Nyaung Oo. The two brothers named Nyaung Oo Pho Cho and Nyaung Oo Than Htay. They have numerous first awards from not only Burma but also from all over the world. I highly recommend that you meet with them when you are in Nyaung Oo. Pho Cho is famous on beautiful scenes and his brother is very famous for people photos. Hope this will help.
Old 05-29-2004, 04:21 AM
TE Junior Member

Thanks Wai Kyi. The festival in Tounggyi sounds really interesting. If the others say they're interested I'll ask Myanmar Travel for a change of itinerary.

I looked for the two brothers Pho Cho and Than Htay on google but coudn't get anything that showed photos by them. Do you know where I can see their pics?
Old 05-29-2004, 05:42 AM
TE Newbie

Make sure when is the fullmoon day! from your arrival to Burma. Hmmm... I don't know how to find either. But they did photo shows in Rangoon a couple of times. The last time was in Jan 2004 and also their photos are on some publications and yearly calendars. Give me some time and I will get back to you. Thanks.
Old 05-29-2004, 06:28 AM
TE Newbie

Hi Phillip and all,

I just noticed this thread and it sounds like an awesome experience. Could you please add me to the email list as I am seriously considering joining along(assuming that there is still space.) Ultimately for me it will be the final date chosen and overall costs that determine whether i can make it. Thanks
Old 05-29-2004, 08:49 AM
TE Junior Member

Hi bgladman (sorry I haven't looked up your proper name yet :-)

I'll add you to the email list. All the current info is in my post on this thread, about two posts above this - the dates are 20-17 November, the cost is $328 (from moemeory) share or plus $20 if you want a single room. Itinerary is Yangon-Mandalay-Bagan-Yangon, with a stop in Popa (between Bagan and where we catch the train back to Yangon). Accompanied by U Thi Ha, a top Burmese pro photogrpaher (I never met him, but from his emails I get the impression of one of those old-school British educated Burmese - which might be quite wrong of course - but he does write good English so communication shld be no problem).
Old 06-08-2004, 01:32 AM
TE Newbie

Hi Philip,

As promised, here is Nyaung Oo Than Htay address. He live in Mandalay not in Nyaung Oo as I said before.

Nyaung U Than Htay
No. 115/28, BALA Street, Block 3
NANSHAI, Mandalay
Myanmar

He is semi-retired, does mostly traditional photography
on his own as freelance. Had a exhibit called "A picture
must tell a story" in Bogyoke Market in Rangoon on January earlier this year. He had no online exhibit as of this date. You can also ask your contact about him too. Take care.

Way Sai