Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-29-2009, 05:26 PM
TE Newbie

Default How do you get people to comment/critique your photos?

Hi,Im fairly new to posting photos on TE. Recently someone left a comment on one of my photos saying I need to advertise my photos to the critiques to get people to comment on them. How do you do this?

Great site by the way and to all of you great photos.

Mark
Old 09-29-2009, 05:52 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: How do you get people to comment/critique your photos?

Very easily: get involved and critique the images posted by other members. You have not posted one single critique so far! Adding notes to your images also helps matters.
Roland
Old 09-29-2009, 06:00 PM
TE Newbie

Thanks for the reply Roly - so its a i'll scratch your back, you scratch mine kind of set up!

sounds straight forward to me.

thank you.

mark
Old 09-29-2009, 06:06 PM
TE Senior Member

Hi Mark!
You wrote no critiques /comments so far and recieved 8!!!
What do you expect???
Members with many critiques/points don`t publish allways wonderful photos but they write very fequent and get many in return,so the number of points says not much about the quality of photos.( most of my photos are overrated)
When you want more feedback,post good quality,interesting motives and write good notes and
WRITE Critiques or comments.You can write as much as you want per day without giving points and a maximum of 20 per day with giving points.
Look at some high decorated members(members which get a lot of feedback for each upload) galleries, and go back to their first few photos they published..........
View the gallery and write about photos you like!!!!!!!!!
Hope that helps,
kind regards,leo
Old 09-29-2009, 06:09 PM
TE Newbie

thanks so much for your help.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:16 PM
TE Junior Member

Yes, pretty much that's what it is, unfortunately. Members tend to congregate into groups with common interests, some more focused on the improvement of their skills and some more on the social aspect of the site, i.e. reciprocal backscratching. Critiquing will get you noticed either way, and if you provide the type of critiques you'd like to receive things will sort themselves out.
Roland
Old 09-29-2009, 08:05 PM

Mark,

Try to avoid becoming a member of a clique and playing the "You scratch my back brigade". Post honest critiques of images that catch your interest, irrespective of the author and you will start to generate feedback of your own images. That to me is very different to becoming part of some private club where the only images that are critiqued are those submitted by other members of that club.
Over time some of those clubs will become apparent, although they are much less obvious now that the individual points given to an image aren't displayed on the thumbnails.
Be honest and constructive with your critiques. If there are aspects you like, try to explain what and why. Equally, if there are aspects you don't like or might have considered differently, again, explain what and why. Very few will take offence at the negatives if they are balanced and considered comment. If they do take offence maybe they are posting on the wrong site.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:02 AM
TE Junior Member

I totally agree with this last post, by Keitht.
Write critiques to the photos you like, no matter if those authors will ever reply with points to you, and, if you feel like, write honest critics to the pictures you don't like. The groups whose members give points to each other, no mattter what they post, is a bad attitude here, and it has nothing to do with the quality of the photos.

Stefano
Old 10-09-2009, 01:21 AM

Hi Stefano. I would not call members giving points to each other a 'bad attitude'; it's just the way some members like to interact on TE. The beauty of this site, even after the various controversies we have experienced, is that it is still many things to many people - it will be what you want it to be. Some members just want it to be a repository for photos and aren't interested in writing or getting critiques; some only like to look at photos rather than upload; others like to make friends online and meet up with them. And so on...

It is the failure to acknowledge interest in one's photos shown by those who may not be in the 'clique' (and I'm really not sure if such well-defined groups are common or even exist, although certain big hitters in the points department do seem to have their 'fan clubs') that can perhaps be described as a 'bad attitude'. I have in the past written numerous critiques for certain members of TE (yes, including those who have their 'fan clubs') and have never once received a reciprocal critique, comment, note, thank you or whatever - neither positive nor negative - from them. As far as I am concerned, showing some form of reciprocal interest in another member - no matter how brief, points or no points - is a vital part of TE. I have made an effort to have a look at the galleries and to write a critique for as many as possible of those who have commented on mine. I regret that I do miss some of them. This does not automatically lead to the formation of a group or clique; it is just good manners. I'm sure many members would agree with that. Members might learn more 'about the world' by learning more about each other.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:17 AM
TE Senior Member

Andrew,
that is one of the best.. explanations of this site as I have seen. I have always felt that good manners is a large part of critiquing. If someone is kind enough to stop and look and take the time to leave a critique (positive OR negative) or do a workshop? I will look to their galleries first. And then over the time I've been here, there are just people who do the kind of photography I prefer. Guess that's why they have favorites lists.

I have been in a terrible slump for a long time. I am still struggling to take and process shots I don't find mediocre or boring. I miss it here, though. Y'all are just great folks... :)))

Shelly