Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great emka 2019-08-23 12:58

Hello gert, You probably know it but I would like to remind you that Hoi An was "saved" by the Polish architect Kazimierz Kwiatkowski, called Kazik by his Vietnamese friends. In 1980, as a part of co-operation program between Poland and Vietnam, Polish-Vietnamese Monument Conservation Mission. KaziK was named the director of this mission. He left for Vietnam in the very same year and stayed there up until his death in 1997. Kazik, in his 17 years of work restored a great number of national monuments. Among his biggest achievements renovation of three ancient complexes – a temple complex My Son, medieval city of Fajfo (today known as Hoi An), as well as old capital of the country, Hue. In order to preserve the historic site of Hoi, Kazimierz Kwiatkowski had to wage a war on the authorities of Vietnam, who wanted to replace the wooden houses with new blocks of flats. understanding the significance of the place, managed to convince the officials to preserve the place in unaltered state.
You were lucky that you had an opportunity to visit this place before this invasion. I visited Hoi An in 2011, so after this invasion and I liked it very much. And I was proud that it was preserved. I was on this market and it didn't change so much. And I was of course on this covered bridge. I will see if I similar picture. As always in touristy places, I could find quiet places away of centre.

I love such conical hats. I dreamed to have one when I was in school.
Kind regrads MAlgo

Old 08-24-2019, 07:55 AM
TE Expert

Default To emka: Thank you Malgo

Hello Malgo,
Thanks for your interesting comments. You probably told me about this architect before, or maybe you mentioned him in a note to one of your own photos, but I didn't remember all these details.
Of course all the old buildings that made Hoi An famous and popular are still there and look the same, but with this small town filled with tourists filling 870 hotels, many of them arriving in large groups, I just don't want to be there.
Have a nice weekend.
Gert