Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 09:32 AM
TE Expert

Default I quit...

Yesterday I uploaded a photo as a tribute to our departed friend - Marek Nowak - aka Gustaw just in second anniversary of his death. Some of you wrote some warm words. But suddenly the photo dissappered. I've got an e-mail from TE:

Your photo titled, "Tribute to Gustaw" (photo1265643.htm) seems to
violate the TrekEarth terms of service and therefore has been inactivated.

I cannot stand such soullessness and thoughtlessness any more. I've been here for over 6 years. It is enough, I presume, so I quit now.

TE members are wonderful, I spend here fine time, but now I cannot stay here any longer...

Happy New Year!
Old 12-30-2010, 02:38 PM
TE Expert

It is my note on the TE group in Facebook and also a question to vivianne who seems the only persons amongs mods who cares:

"Again, the decision of mods is not to understand. Yesterday passed two years of the death of our friend Marek aka Gustaw. Two Trekkers posted the photos as a tribute to him, but the photos were removed as violation of the TOS. I saw the photo of jasmis and there was nothing in it against TOS. You can see it on jasmis site in FB. The same thing again and again. The result is that jasmis, after 6 years of addiction, left the site. Is it the real goal of admin to get rid of old members?
"

In this way I've got an aswer, thank you.
Viviane napisał(a): „I understand how someone can feel about such a lost, but what I don't understand, Emka, is why people don't use their imagination better to dedicate tributes to their friends. I's so very easy to take a picture completely suiting the ToS and adding a sensitive note under it... If Jasmis did photograph a candle in a church or anything else which could be considered as an important photographic adding to TE and added that info on his note then it would have been perfectly acceptable, why choosing something we can't see what it's about and w/o any note about the photo itself? On that particular picture I just saw one lit candle and a diffuse dark silhouette in the background. No idea what I was seeing in fact... I think if you want to make a tribute to a photographer you at least can make an effort.”

I do not understand the answer. I cite TOS:

Certain types of photos are prohibited on TrekEarth and will be removed:
Nude photographs unless the nudity is intrinsically related to an event such as a regional festival, daily living, or the like.
Photographs of family, friends, or pets (not only one's own).
Self-portraits, photos of your own reflection or own shadow.
Studio-like, set-up or posed photos.
Closeups of any flowers of plants, water droplets, toothbrushes etc. are not allowed.

I haven't seen anything of it on the photo. The TOS should be respected of both sides. The note was very sensitive, there were many comments under it. Why do you think it was no effort? If jasmis wrote," I made this photo in the church so and so" - would it be there still? The photo spoke perfectly for itself. If people had any dou bts if there decision of leaving the side was right, no they have no such doubts.

Regards

emka
Old 12-30-2010, 04:14 PM
TE Expert

Default Daj sobie spokσj Małgosiu,

Nawet Viviane. ktσra uchodzi za najbardziej rozumnego admina, pisze do Ciebie jakieś kretyńskie herezje. Szkoda gadać, szkoda pisać. Szkoda dawać zdjęcia.
Pozdrawiam.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:39 PM
TE Expert

Default I quit, too

Some years ago, TE was a great website.
Today, it became NOTHING.
The politic of administration is the shame.
The best and more creative members leaved this site.
Now, it is a flood of bad, hirsh photos, that do not envy to travel around the world.
Human photography is finished.
In the case of Jan, I can't understand decisions of moderators.
They leaved : Sarolta, Polonaise, Bantonbuju, Jinju, Traczewska, BatoussaΟ, and at least twenty other good photographers.
Marek Nowak was between us. He is died. Jan would to present a tribute to his missing presence (there was a very good man). The photo of Jan was delated.
I can't understand !
Old 12-30-2010, 07:32 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Again

Dear Jan,

I΄m very sorry to hear this. Unfortunately it΄s the same old story, repeated again and again and again on this site - hurting peoples feelings, and mostly hurting the ones who care (or did care) most.

What more should I say. I΄m sorry for your decision, but I understand it well, very well.

Take care, dear friend, and hope to see you soon in another (better, more worthy) forum than TE.

Johannes
Old 12-30-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emka View Post
I do not understand the answer. I cite TOS:

Certain types of photos are prohibited on TrekEarth and will be removed:
Nude photographs unless the nudity is intrinsically related to an event such as a regional festival, daily living, or the like.
Photographs of family, friends, or pets (not only one's own).
Self-portraits, photos of your own reflection or own shadow.
Studio-like, set-up or posed photos.
Closeups of any flowers of plants, water droplets, toothbrushes etc. are not allowed.

I haven't seen anything of it on the photo. The TOS should be respected of both sides. The note was very sensitive, there were many comments under it. Why do you think it was no effort? If jasmis wrote," I made this photo in the church so and so" - would it be there still? The photo spoke perfectly for itself. If people had any dou bts if there decision of leaving the side was right, no they have no such doubts.

Regards

emka
I just saw a very close shot of a candle... Please explain what I'm missing.

Last edited by Porteplume; 12-30-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:28 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Good Photographers and Friends

You should all come to AM****3 - the same sort of community exists there, but there is a much more lenient TOS.

Several folks have gone there from here - I post very little here now, too much turmoil and I feel more free to create at that site.

E-mail me directly through the system for more information...

Have a great New Year!

Reed
Old 12-30-2010, 11:40 PM
TE Expert

"I just saw a very close shot of a candle... "

You can't be serious... So every portrait of the face will be close up in the same way, also every door knob or other detail. In fact, it was not close up because the broader scene was included, although dark.

In film, television, still photography and the comic strip medium a close-up tightly frames a person or an object. Close-ups are one of the standard shots used regularly with medium shots and long shots. Close-ups display the most detail, but they do not include the broader scene. Moving in to a close-up or away from a close-up is a common type of zooming (after Wikipedia).

Last edited by emka; 12-30-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:03 AM

I'm very serious, believe me. I always am, every time I have to examine a photo or a request.
On this photo the main subject is a close-up of a very ordinary candle. The background says nothing about the place it has been taken, just a dark shadow of something or someone...
And yes, if we were able to clearly see something interesting in the background and if Jan has described the place where it was taken then it had had all the rights to be on TE.

It's my last posting on this subject. I have said why I think this photo had to be inactivated. Of course you may contact me any time.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:51 AM
TE Expert

Cool there are always two sides

I admire Porteplume for her courage.

It is definitely sad that some senior TE photographers, like JY, Cretense and others left the site. It is obvious that the quality of TE uploads dropped because of this fact. I considered leaving as well.

On the other hand the rules are simple and I have the impression that quite often the senior members feel like the rules do not apply to them.
Every forum has a right to shape its profile according to its own rights.
If a forum declares that it is about "learning about the world" and people do not recognize it but keep violating this rule, they have to be prepared for the consequences. Moreover, TL was created, a forum which is supposed to be not for learning about the world but for more experimental photos. Yet people are often too lazy to transfer or they are afraid their audience will not transfer with them.

Low quality uploads happen to senior members as well. You may call them artistic but then they fit TL more than TE.
I respect TE moderators for being strict in that matter and sometimes I believe they are not strict enough.

I like in this forum the social aspect, I met many interesting people here and I learned a lot about the world and photography.
But I also like its organization. I like the fact that when I click a location I don't see flowers or candles, regardless at how wonderful or sensitive occasions they were uploaded.
I am really sad that so many have left, many good friends transferred to another forums which have a higher quality of photos, other chose sites with a greater flexibility of themes, other made finally their own web sites. There is nothing wrong or dramatic about it. TE is still a very unique place. On the place of old members, new members will come, some beginners other with great skills. Some friendships will be gone but other will develop.
Closed Thread