Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-12-2010, 08:39 AM
TE Expert

Default Ratio

a system to avoid abuses? ratio, 1 photo 20 smiles, when you upload a new photo other 20 smiles....
Old 09-12-2010, 10:27 AM
TE Expert

Default Ratio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clementi View Post
a system to avoid abuses? ratio, 1 photo 20 smiles, when you upload a new photo other 20 smiles....
hummm... I think it's a good idea: to limit the number of smileys per photo and not per day as it is now...
Gosh! This would change completely the scenario in TE, and would drastically decrease the points some people gather with their hectic activity...

They will not like it I guess!

Perhaps 20 is too little. If I have 50 people in my favourite list that will mean that 30 will be left out... we should think carefully about what number could be the most appropriate.

Hey guys! Are we ready for the change?

Donato
Old 09-12-2010, 12:16 PM

Default Courtesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longroute View Post
Andrew,
macondo: “I'm not sure why they complain about it when they could bypass them in their thumbnail form (which gives some sort of indication, at least), if they prefer to view only what they consider good quality photos.”

You are forgetting one important fact here Andrew, this is – or should be – a kind of community, and the moment we are posting a photo we are drawn into this community by the people who comment it. The courtesy – if you feel it to be necessary – requires at least to visit the galleries of the people who voted you to see what kind of photos they do and if it’s the case to reciprocate the vote. It’s no use to bypass their thumbnails because a photo cannot be assessed by the thumbnail.
Donato
Donato, I am not forgetting 'the fact' you are talking about, actually it is the main reason I am on TE. I merely wonder why some people complain about the quality of the photos when they could ignore most of the ones they don't like. If they only want to see good photos, they can, or they can go somewhere else.

I absolutely agree with what you say about the 'community'. I always pay other members the courtesy (unless I foget) of looking at their galleries if they show some passing interest in mine. I like to see who those people are, where they are from, and what sort of photos they like to take. I don't care if their photos are generally not to my liking, I will try to find one that I can say something constructive about, just to return the interest.

I must say that there are some members, and some of them pretty good photographers in my view, who have never shown one tiny bit of interest in my shots, no matter how many times I have written something about theirs. I see no evidence at all of their ever having noticed my existence. I don't worry about it, I'm not upset or offended or angry; I just think they show no courtesy. If courtesy ceased to exist on TE altogether, however, it might as well die. And I think that perhaps you have exactly the same experience. That's just how it goes.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:01 PM
TE Expert

Default I am not forgetting 'the fact' you are talking about

Hello Andrew,

“I am not forgetting 'the fact' you are talking about,”

maybe my wording was not a good one but the idea I wanted to express was simple enough: you can’t ignore or bypass all the photos of the people who votes you and the critiques they write.
I felt that the following sentence of yours was not to the point of the initial discussion started by Guy:

“I merely wonder why some people complain about the quality of the photos when they could ignore most of the ones they don't like.”

He was not complaining about the quality of the posted photos but about the critiques system. That can be clearly seen in this very short sentence of his:

“It seems that nobody is really interested at the photos themselves, just in the process of collecting points.”

I agree with you about the rest of your post.

Donato

(I’ll be off for a couple of days)
Old 09-17-2010, 01:33 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Even neglecting the points

Even neglecting the points, the comments to the photos are very often just ridiculous.
So it is not a matter of points. Who cares about points.
"Beautiful colors", "great depth", "perfect composition", amazing sharpess" to very averaged images, that any normal modern camera in automatic mode can take, just clicking, with no attempt at all to make a good composition or finding a good pov.

Stefano
Old 10-02-2010, 10:49 PM
TE Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquest View Post
There should be a ban on wanting to ban anything someone don't like !
Life is so short, live and let live and enjoy.

Cheers !

Jacques
I am in total agreement, life is short.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:53 PM
TE Senior Member

Thumbs up life is short.

I am in total agreement, life is short.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:00 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Quota

... of points. My personal experience is that most beginning active members eventually don't need me for that after a while. I do reciprocate as a matter of courtesy (most of the time) at this stage. I don't really mind doing that to give them a start and to excel me . I can't say I have any permanent loyal followers .... perhaps my photos are simply just not good enough.

Last edited by ls7902; 10-13-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:32 AM
TE Newbie

Smile Newbie

As a newbie, my goal is only to improve myself, I don't care about the point systems, but constructive criticism is in fact rare. At the really beginning, I was too shy, or maybe I found it difficult for me to give advice and critiques, as I often think my shots are not as good as they should be.
The problem is that being shy and making no critiques makes that I obtain very few interesting critiques on my shot...
Maybe the problem comes from the "favourite member" system more than from the point system: gangs of buddies giving each other points just to say hello...
I love this site, and I also love that good photographers and new ones all can give their vision of the world...
Old 10-14-2010, 04:59 PM

You should never be afraid to post critiques or comments. The very fact that you say you don't think your own shots are as good as they should be suggests you have some understanding of what makes a good image for you.
Critiques are subjective and as long as your observations are honest I believe you should post them. Others, including the photographer, may not agree with your thoughts but that doesn't make either party wrong.