Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-01-2006, 10:53 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: The Critique Conspiracy

I disagree. I think there are several new photographers on TE who have become big members of the community. The fact that they are extremely good photographers certainly helps but they are also very involved in the community and write a lot of critiques.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:42 AM
TE Expert

I see a lot of discussions about the critiques, the quality, the quantitity, the very sujective rules, the non-participation, the non-attention, the vast growing posts, the decreasing value of the site and so on .....
but
no one tries to find a solution here, maybe dissapointed from the past that any proposal is mostly put aside and never get the hoped respons, neither from members ... so all become rather passive complaining about some lost pleasures when this community was smaller ....
still
let me throw in a crazy proposal maybe to recover a bit maybe ... ? I do not hope it will be given a thought, but at least I propose something ...

let's consider that we get 20 ratings a day ...

OK let's make it 30 ratings a post and to make it even more complicate, your first post is for free but your next post you have to earn too by doing at least 5 ratings a post otherwise you can't post the next one anymore ....

think about the consequences then on the level of quantity, quality ... could both increase ? And spotting out the better shots could that be improved in this way too ?

Maybe a crazy proposal and most probably denied for the more complicate calculations that the system has to do, although these times it shouldn't be a problem anymore ... :))

At least I hope to see some more creative solutions, even the most crazy one, why not, but let's stay creative minded in stead of only complaining, no ?
Old 09-01-2006, 12:50 PM
TE Expert

Though we should be weary to abide by what he said. For one luminous insight, a lot seemed coming from a very anally retentive public personality. He seemed in his later decades totally negating the relevance of having been a photographer. Not fun, grumpy old man HCB.... :-(

Just name HCB and I'll come running ;-)..

I disagree with your analysis Hervι, you're reding his life the wrong way, starting from the end, which leads you to misunderstanding IMO.
(Advice : read Assouline's HCB biography).

HCB was a curious but never compromising mind, sometimes very opiniated. Friend of the surrealist poets while they were not known yet, went in far away countries while transport were not as easy as today, although he had no assignment for, met incredible people.

Even in his thirties, he threw many of his negs just because he thought they were not worth, on the other part he tried to push everything to the limit.

Don't forget that he studied art first : he might have shocked self-esteemed photogs when he soon claimed that there was no art in photography, that it just needed an eye and a finger.
He might have considered photography rather like a state of mind than an art medium : this is quite clearly coming upduring his meeting with Avedon (HCB says he doesn't need to take pics of Avedon, because he has already taken his expression in his mind). This also because obvious when you read about his zen archery theory : to HCB photo is more a sport than an art.

Grumpy old man? I don't think so, provocative like his anarchist mind ever was and just putting things in perspective. HCB was a punk, a real one, not like the young fashionistas.
Also, at some times of his life, HCB didn't want to practise that sport anymore. Drawing never abandoned him, he decided to focus on it and forget the rest.

Why should realism be put aside? In many aspects, I think HCB is the perfect model for a travel photographer, for his state of mind, his technique, his unconpromising search for the better.

I wish many Trekearthians were as open minded as HCB...

Luko
Old 09-01-2006, 01:41 PM
TE Junior Member

I think that the idea by Henk (oochappan) is worth (at least) considering....

Another solution might be applying limits: for example one photo per week (or 5 or 3 days) instead of per day - especially in the beginning....
This could lead to better selection of pictures being sent...
Old 09-01-2006, 01:49 PM
TE Senior Member

Rafal,
no offence ofcoarse, but 'sveral members who become big members' could be exceptions.
The point is that if you look at the statistics, the number of people who join increases, the attention that they get decreases. The same can be said about the photos that are posted every day as Keith points out.
If you go back to the original post of Harjit, and read other reactions, it becomes clear that it is hard 'these days' to get feedback from strangers.

And now my main point;
Besides the small group of TE die-hards, there is a large groop (including me) of TE supporters with little time and who still need learn a lot. Being not-so-talanted and only having time for a few critiques each time, the mentality of TE and it's development is important to them to continue to progress.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:09 PM
TE Senior Member

Henk, I'm glad you're always contructive and finding solutions ;)

We had this discusiions before, so it's not that nobody thougt about it before, and almost the same was proposed back then, and the main critique was that you would get more 'great shot I like it' critiques, harming the quality of TE.
Having said that; if the majority of TE memebers agree that the quality is already less now than it was before, this could be an argument to try to change something.
And than there is the main reason why so far nothing has changed; I don't think that Adam would want to change anything, unless he gets the idea that TE is going for some reason in the wrong direction.

So besides your proposal, there are other possibilities;
- try to find a way to expose the new-posted photos more, for instance by includng a thumb on the left, with the latest uploaded photo, to be refreshed every minute. No matter what you do, being on the forum or writing a critique, you would see more new photos.
- Most of us have now good screens, so the opening galery could hold 30 thumbs, and only if you have older stuff, you could select a smaller view
- before you critique, three new photos apear, and you have to click the one you like best. this only needs a few seconds, and mayby motivates people to look around more.
etc. etc.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:01 PM

There are lots of ideas being thrown into the pot here. Needless to say there will be differing opinions as to which are good and which are bad :-) The only one I definitely disagree with is David's suggestion of increasing the number of thumbnails per page. I understand the logic of keeping new images visible longer, but for me the reduced image size or additional scrolling outweighs the benefit. My monitor is 1280 x 1024, and the thumbnails are as small as I think is reasonable to be able to view them effectively.
Cutting down the number of posts per week may well become necessary. It has already been cut from 2 to 1 per day and may have been higher still in the early days of the site. A balance certainly needs to be struck between discouraging new members and the current flooding of the site.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:24 PM
TE Junior Member

It seems like pictures disappear from the frontpage quite (perhaps too) quickly. The picture I posted today has thus far gotten a staggering 4 views.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:13 PM
TE Expert

I know I was propsing this already in a more simple way but enlarged it with a minimum required rated critiques of 5 before you can post a new shot ... this will increase and encourage at least more people to write critiques in the sharing spirit and avoid the use of the site as an archive for hollidays snaps, no ?

I speak alone about rated critiques as the unrated ones could still be without limit to balance with a limitation of rated critiques a post ... I have seen here a member with 3 shots, all with more then 100 appreciating points for the thousand and thousand critiques he wrote without posting any new shots ! Kind of ridiculous hι.

Rules are supposed to be there as a kind of antibiotic for diseases, no antibiotics invites diseases till it become deadly ....
Old 09-01-2006, 05:12 PM

41 pages of images yesterday. Therefore average time for a picture to be on the 'front page' would be 35 minutes!