Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 01-25-2003, 10:02 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: "Allow workshop" default

Me, too. I have not, and will not make 'Yes' the default. I may make it configurable by each user though. However, the default will always be 'No'.
Old 02-11-2003, 02:17 PM
TE Newbie

Going back to an earlier point about what digital manipulations are allowable - is it acceptable to submit photos having corrected converging verticals in Photosho ?. I find this feature very useful for architectural shots.
Old 02-11-2003, 06:09 PM
TE Expert

"is it acceptable to submit photos having corrected converging verticals in Photoshop?"

Yes, definitely acceptable. I'll update the TOS to include this. Thanks.
Old 02-14-2003, 12:58 PM
TE Senior Member

Throwing my 'two bits' in from Central India, a small town called Sanchi.

It seems as if people's thinking is being determined by what we 'could' do in the B&W darkroom - burn, dodge, choose different grades of paper for contrast, etc.

Photo editing tools have opened a new world for creating an image that we (personally) like. If I see a scene that I perceive as a potentially wonderful shot, except for an intruding TV antenna, I now have two alternatives instead of one.

In the old days I could make arrangements (pay) to have the antenna removed so that I could make the shot.

Today I can take the shot and remove the antenna at no cost to me or with no waste of time.

What is the difference?

Is photography valid only when one does it the 'old fashioned way'?
Old 02-14-2003, 06:16 PM
TE Expert

It's good to hear from you Bob!

I think it's basically a gray area, with some people leaning on one side and others leaning on the other. I wouldn't have a problem with removal of an antenna, but I would never take a sky from one photo and substitute it for another.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:21 AM
TE Senior Member

"...but I would never take a sky from one photo and substitute it for another."

Both slide film and most digital cameras have far less dynamic range than does print film.

If I am visiting the Taj Mahal and find a beautiful sky but the Taj backlit what do I do? I can expose for the sky and loose the Taj in the shadows or expose for the Taj and produce a 'washed out' sky.

Or I can take two seperate photos, one exposed to maximize each seperate element and then combine the 'best of both' later.

Have I done something that violates the rule?

Or have I used the available technology to produce the best picture? (I could have done the job in one shot with a huge reflector....)
Old 02-21-2003, 09:26 AM
TE Expert

"Or I can take two seperate photos, one exposed to maximize each seperate element and then combine the 'best of both' later."

This is perfectly acceptable. However, if you took a photo of a sky in Thailand a month later and put that in to the Taj Mahal shot, I would say that is not acceptable.