Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great tyro 2016-09-18 7:34

Hi Mike,

Another fine photograph of these well known "boat" sheds, this time in colour and with the added inclusion of a bright red dumper truck in the foreground really to brighten things up and add a fine sense of depth to this lovely composition. And what a wonderful moody sky too.

I'm not sure exactly what processing you've done here but I like it a lot. There's some vignetting applied, I can see that, but is this also HDR or have you just reduced the colour saturation to some extent? Anyway, I like it a lot.

Excellent!

Kind Regards,

John.

How many of these sheds are there here? Would definitely be worth a trip some day to shoot them. Is there ever anyone around? Because I seem to recall seeing a picture (maybe at my camera club, I'm not sure) with an old whiskery curmudgeon standing at the door of one of these sheds - if you fancy another shot I could not shave for a week and come and join you here as a subject. :)

Old 09-18-2016, 05:50 PM
TE Senior Member

Smile To tyro: Sheds

Hello John

You are correct in your observation that I have applied a vignette. It isn't HDR but I have de-saturated the colours to some extent. I just thought it made it look old and added to the age of the sheds etc.

There are quite a number of sheds there - maybe 8 - 10, situated around the harbour, though I read somewhere that there are a couple of others on the island. I didn't get to explore the whole island though and it is most definitely somewhere I want to go back to at some point - so yes, when that becomes a possibility it would be good to meet up so that you can model a hipster beard for me!

As, for the people, it depends on time of day. As you are probably aware access to the island is via a causeway that floods with the tides each day. Tide is out from around 7 a.m. until 1 p.m. then you are stuck there until 7 in the evening. Tourists start to arrive around 9 and flood the island until 1 and then it is pretty quiet until evening. I got there around 8 in the morning and stayed until 7 at night. The only drawback is that because there is a mass exodus of tourists off the island around 1 p.m., the cafes etc., don't stay open much beyond this - though the pubs do for beer! So, no real hardship suffered!

Interestingly the day I was there taking this particular shot, the area was busy with a photoshoot for Barbour jackets and footwear - loads of pro lighting and photographers taking pictures of shoes on the feet of trendy young models. I watched them for a while and thought I might do the usual thing of taking a photo of one of the models on the sneak as they were being photographed. Ironically, as I took the shot you see here, one of the pro photographers started to take shots over my shoulder as I took it. Obviously, the subject I was taking shots of was far more interesting than the shots he had been taking all day and I'll take the fact that he sneaked up and used my viewpoint as some kind of affirmation of having done something right!

Have a good evening,

Mike