Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great CLODO 2016-08-19 3:36

Bonjour John

The main post is about the rally gathering as we can see many old cars under the ropes, and this chatting men about this queer car, some people were more attracted by you taking the picture. The WS shows twell he technology of this car, without front bumpers and due to the lens size used, the front wheels seem not to be parallel.

Cheers
CLODO

Old 08-19-2016, 12:01 PM
TE Expert

Default To CLODO: Steering angles.....

Merci, Claude, for your kind words!

Yes, at 24mm focal length (equivalent to about 18mm on a APS -C camera), perspective is altered so the wheels do look splayed apart. But they also actually are. This car is not sitting with its wheels pointing forward but pointing slightly to the car's left. And, of course, as with all cars, the front wheels are more or less parallel when driving straight but, when a car has to turn, the inner wheel turns farther than the outer wheel as they have different curves to negotiate. Does that make sense?

Just try it with your own car - park it with the steering on full lock then get out and look!

Kind Regards,

John.

Last edited by tyro; 08-19-2016 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:41 PM
TE Senior Member

Sorry to interject... had a steering angle sensor replaced on my car recently... not cheap... but without it the ABS switches off! Steering angles matter! But there's too much technology on cars now... and too few mechanics... we have part replacing technicians who are loathe to do anything mechanical unless "computer says..." so bring back the old cars is what I say! ☺
Old 08-19-2016, 01:03 PM
TE Expert

Default Steering angle sensor.....

Hi Mike,

Always a pleasure to have you interject, even if only to hear more of your dreadfully sad motoring woes! Poor Mike.

I've just done a quick search and it appears that this is a not uncommon problem with the big Volvos - and quite a pricey one to have fixed. You really must buy a workshop manual and learn how to fix these things yourself - most of it is pretty straightforward - well it must be if some brainless chimp in a commercial garage can do it. And, of course, just linking up a computer to the diagnostic socket doesn't always give the correct answer: often a bit of well applied common sense can lead you to the diagnosis more reliably. But, yes, I agree: just pulling out a part and plugging in a new one is not the work of a true engineer or mechanic.

Or just buy yourself a Morgan like this in which the only sensor is the "nut" that holds the steering wheel.

Keep smiling.

Cheers,

John.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:43 PM
TE Senior Member

Hello John

Yes you are right it is a common problem with the XC90, as is the sensor which switches cruise control on and off and the little electronic mechanism that locks the fuel cap. I did replace those myself though. I would have done the steering angle myself too but a software download was required and you have no choice but to go to the main dealer.

They control the licensing of the software making it very expensive for an independent to acquire. This basically ensures people have to deal with main dealer at over inflated prices. They charge 70 quid just to plug it in to the diagnostic machine. Luckily for me I self diagnosed the fault code with the help of my cousins diagnostic machine for free and told them what the issue was. They said ok we will replace the sensor but if that's not the problem then we are not responsible for repairing any remaining issues. Fair enough but I knew I was right!

As for Morgans... beyond my financial means I'm afraid... I am, however, going for a test drive in a DAF XF articulated lorry at Thruxton soon. I'll let you know how it goes! Hopefully my nuts don't fall off!

Cheers

Mike
Old 08-19-2016, 05:08 PM
TE Expert

Location: I live in Pessac, city surburb of Bordeaux - France
Lightbulb paralellism

Hi mates!

My original comment leads to many other coments.... I am aware that when you turn the driving wheel, the front wheels are no more parallel as the radius of the turn is different, but when you go straight ahead, they should be (.....more or less)