Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-05-2007, 02:00 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Who s really a good photographer in TE ??

*influential?* ....

Possibly - that's the word we've been missing in the whole discussion ?

I hear 'The best' - and all of a sudden a growl sounds in my throat.
Too many most idiotic praises and critiques, false masters, worthless photos bathing lovingly in the mud of green macaques - for not the react to the phrase 'the best' any other way than I just did…

---------------------------

Kaj…
You have blossomed in front of our very eyes.
From the promising beginnings as a 'photography child' (sorry for repeating my own quote, but only very few on this site deserves that title ), all the way to nowadays when you became a cold blooded, hot passion - PHOTOGRAPHER !
No longer a child…
A PHOTOGRAPHER
The real one. The one that knows !

How many of us - know ?
Old 10-05-2007, 02:33 PM
TE Expert

Kaj…
You have blossomed in front of our very eyes.
-----------------

Infact Kaj is so good (sorry G, I meant influencial ;-) that when she posts a photo that is just very good, it's a huge dissapointment, I appreciate the fact she mentioned me as helpfull critiquer, problem is I have nothing left to help, I simply look at her photos and my jaw drops. I don't help, I drool.

In the past I have mentioned 3 individuals who are the most influencial (trying to be politically correct and not piss off senior G ;-) on TE:

Sohrab, Nygus and Maciakda, all of them are pretty much stoped participating here, don't blame them though, now I would definitely include Kaj in this group, the type of photography that is good not just by TE standards, but by any standards.

Peter
Old 10-05-2007, 03:44 PM
TE Junior Member

Well, I know this is an old thread, but, I don't think it's a question that can really be answered.

Yes, you can look at technicals for who is good, but I think the subject of a good photograph is 95% opinion. There is no real "criteria" for a good photo. If you like it, than it's good to you.

As for some of my favorites:

Mistral - interesting, good subjects
Luko - excellent, off the norm type of street photography
Furachan - street shots, original with great focal points
Inasiajones - technically excellent, perfect color and tones
Aznegrao - a good photographer, doesn't need 10,000 dollars in equipment to make the photo look like it it was takne with an expensive camera
vapours - a real "fresh" street photography style
nox - technicals are excellent with great subjects, good eye for detail

...there are plenty of others. Sorry to tell alot of people here, but this site is alot about travel and not just photography.

John
Old 10-05-2007, 04:03 PM
TE Senior Member

Wow thanks John, I appreciate it that you think that way, especially grouping me with Luko and Francis (Furachan).

The active members on TE that are doing it for me right now are luisafonso, Luko, yanseiler, dolin and ALSOM. All at a level of photography that I can only hope one day I get to. Furachan and brevbrev14 also amaze me at how they can upload 5 photos a week with such consistence in quality.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:12 PM
TE Senior Member

If I had just one name to give :

DESIGNSOUL

... she has amazing skills and eyes
Old 10-05-2007, 04:29 PM
TE Expert

The only thing that can really pissed me off is to be a politically correct...
Old 10-05-2007, 05:12 PM
TE Junior Member

I would say that Polonaise expresses very well what he wants to say on his photos. Personally I find the works of Jinju, Designsoul, Atus, AdamBurton to name a few on my favorite list are some of people that inspire me. As well as I miss Rosaline and Athapan work.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:44 PM
TE Senior Member

TE is comparable to life - you get out what you put in. Be open minded and learn to accept criticism in the way it is meant.. put your ego on the shelf, take the suggestions and let your mind do the rest. God is in the details - scrutinise them.

There are so so many talented people who have used/use this site, but I feel there are people who trigger different emotions in me. I find myself visiting certain people when I am feeling a certain way.. A picture needs to make me *think* and *feel* something - thats what makes me tick most..the deeper meaning behind the image. Of course aestheticism/arrangement of things/light, plays a huge role. (I think) its when all of the elements work in harmony and do not compete for attention. Each element is as important and as pleasing as the next.. inciting discussion, opinions, and ideas...helping us to *learn*, not just look. Each of his photographs do all of this and more - The series about Ahmedabad's rag pickers would not exist if his ideas were not scattered around this place. His chosen subject matter is what drew me initially, but there are extra layers which pull me in further.. His pictures force me to think about what..perhaps more importantly *who* I am looking at, past the point of me switching off my pc.. I am reminded of those haunting faces when I am carrying on with my normal day, making it necessary for me to *act*. His humility can be seen through his photographs.. thats why i>I think he's good.. (oops!)..the most influential.

Reading the comments above, I see that different pictures trigger different people in different ways, so no-one is the *best*. We just need to figure out who is good for us, personally. I think its obvious who that is for me :)
Old 10-05-2007, 08:18 PM
TE Expert

I am toatlly against the use of favorites, and who is best, not only in Photography but on a site, especialy by the parties belonging to the site. There are people here whose photography never seems to take off, one could find if you wish that it is not that good , but it matters little to me, there is too much accounting for taste in looking at photos. These guys have realy good vibes coming fro9m them, it is infectious, makes yo0u want to go out and shoot, you find as mcuh interest in looking at their flawed shots as any one from a master, because it's alive, it's happening now, you are walking a bit on the same road together.

I got into tbis because of Tom, who told me of Pbase, and some guy called Maciej there, himself mentionning some site called Trekearth, which I googled about. 2 months later, I bought my first DSLR, and the rest is me-story.

So all of you are influential, all of you, and we know who we are, have that spark that inspire others. Stop dropping names that can make others feel they are negligeable quantity. We are all together, walking along the path, all of us need to feel encouraged, not hierarchised as if in some freakin' classroom with the teachers pets, the "premier de la classe", vs the also-ran and dunces. If someone here gets to be a NAME in photography, a real one, not just on TE, we will know some day.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:07 PM
TE Senior Member

’m not sure it’s a question of elitism, Herve; I think it could be more a question of survival. I, like you, and like so many others am totally disillusioned with TE.
I think you come form an earlier age, like Francis, Kev, Rafal and many more, you joined when TE was a group of serious photographers each dedicated to improving their work and exchanging real and useful critiques. I think that a nucleus of those people still exists around the senior members. I think that I came in right at the end of that time and caught sight of its final shadow.

Now, with the massive new membership, it has become a snapshot club for backyard sharpshooters to show their mediocre images and exchange extravagant praise for the crap they produce. I have discovered that, now, serious attempts at critiquing are met with injured pride and angry retorts. All they want is assurances that their work is a masterpiece. Then there is the anti-critique. You say a picture is out of focus, or over saturated and the next critique, a friend of the perpetrator, retorts that the focus is fine and the color perfect. In fact critiquing your critique not the picture. So, an attitude of hostility greets any honest critique, however carefully it is phrased. Since TE is now a business, the masses of mutual congratulators, are presumably more profitable, in advertising terms, than a small group of serious photographers would have been.

The galleries used to be full of good pictures, if I recall correctly, now you could search for hours to find one that is not mediocre, but they still have friends heaping praise on each others crap.

So if we are not to sink into a sea of mediocrity and insincerity, we have to plot a path through TE. We have to have lists, if not of people who, if not the elite, are at least, people whose work is worth looking at and who are up for a real critique. Without some sort of personal hierarchy we would all sink into the morass. For me, lists are not about setting up demigods, they are about keeping ones head above the sea of crap.