Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 11-01-2007, 08:31 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Canon 40D, Canon 5D or wait for Nikon D300....

After the fun of reading so many websites where hairs are cut in 4 or even 8 (DPreview, FM, etc...) about mostly feature and technical arguments, I think there are definitely 2 types of people, those who take photos (maybe becoming photographers) and those who cut these hairs. A lousy picture from a photography newbie on TE who enjoyed taking it is closer to the spirit of HCB than any diagrams, analyses, and of course ad nauseam 100-posts threads on what that camera or this lens does or does not.

Anyone ever heard or read some of their favorite photographers, go on and on about their equipment? If I read well, i think prior to the Leica M8, David Alan Harvey was using a D70, and could print large poster size images out of it as well. I think our not forgotten friend Simon did the same with the 20D.

But it's a lot of fun to shop for a new cam, let's not deny it. Just not exactly about "taking pictures", since we keep taking them (I hope) while agonizing gleefully about what Santa will finally deliver, when the season of giving (to oneself) is coming!
Old 11-01-2007, 09:08 PM
TE Expert

why do you have to put such a negative spin on everything, I don't get it, you seem to be very judgemental as of late.
Please let others enjoy whatever they want to enjoy, be it photography, equipment or maybe both, if you don't care about the topic there is an option of not writing a message in a thread.

====================================
After the fun of reading so many websites where hairs are cut in 4 or even 8 (DPreview, FM, etc...) about mostly feature and technical arguments, I think there are definitely 2 types of people, those who take photos (maybe becoming photographers) and those who cut these hairs. A lousy picture from a photography newbie on TE who enjoyed taking it is closer to the spirit of HCB than any diagrams, analyses, and of course ad nauseam 100-posts threads on what that camera or this lens does or does not.

Anyone ever heard or read some of their favorite photographers, go on and on about their equipment? If I read well, i think prior to the Leica M8, David Alan Harvey was using a D70, and could print large poster size images out of it as well. I think our not forgotten friend Simon did the same with the 20D.

But it's a lot of fun to shop for a new cam, let's not deny it. Just not exactly about "taking pictures", since we keep taking them (I hope) while agonizing gleefully about what Santa will finally deliver, when the season of giving (to oneself) is coming!
Old 11-02-2007, 01:03 AM
TE Expert

Actually, it was all about celebrating taking pictures, but we all have our little turn of phrases and disposition of mind, kindly bear with it a little, pick out the celebratory in it, because after all, It was not even about anyone here.

I cared about the topic quite a few days before you, BTW.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:46 AM
TE Expert

Funny you mention Ansel Adams...I can never bring myself to open his books in the bookstore. I guess I dont get the appeal
Old 11-02-2007, 09:45 AM
TE Junior Member

Hi Rafal, horses for courses, mate!

Whether one likes the genre or style of Ansel Adams' work or not, I mention his name as he's widely regarded as a supreme technician - be it in the creation of the ultimate negative or the execution of the perfect print. I could have mentioned many others but, as he is one of my favourites, his name came naturally to mind.

I hope no-one thinks of me as either anti-technology or anti-fun. I'm definitely not either - as the list of gear I currently have (and have had over the years) can testify. I love looking for new gear and trying new gizmo's.

Hiwever, I've just come to the consclusion in my own mind (right or wrong) that if I buy a new piece of equipment, I'm not expecting it to transform the quality of my photos - only I can do that.

My equipment might help me improve (if I'm lucky) but the difference between cameras these days is generally so subtle that it would be hard to notice for the majority of amateurs who don't need a camera with a squillion megapixels - or one that can shoot hundreds of RAW images without drawing breath.

It's great that there's different types of photographers as it keeps the manufacturers on their toes......
Old 11-02-2007, 11:33 AM
TE Expert

Lis ma nouvelle "intro", Herve - on est tout a fait d'accord...
Old 11-02-2007, 01:18 PM
TE Expert

Yes ... you're right on the 24-105L or the 24-70L ... they seem to match perfectly a FF body... FF give you more options in the wide shot but loose some options for those who use long zooms.

"10-22 which is not even close to any of the above zooms"

Don't quite agree on this one though... the 10-22 is a great lens ... rumors says that it's not an "L" glass because it's APS-C size only ... because the quality is very very good.

I do shoot FF now and i have the 17-40L and to be honest i'm still divided in wich is better for extreme wide open photography.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:04 PM
TE Expert

that if I buy a new piece of equipment, I'm not expecting it to transform the quality of my photos - only I can do that.
----------------------------
This sentence reminds me of Picasso taking an old bicycle saddle and its handle bars, turn them around and make a Bull's head out of it. All eye, technique and equipment at a minimum, and he was in his seventies by then.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:47 AM
TE Junior Member

And he arguably produced some of the most innovative art of the 20th century - without the aid of a Nikon or Canon!

Photography is all about 'seeing' - that's why we can call it an art. If it was predominantly about the equipment, it would be a science - and where's the fun in that?

PJ.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:19 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Ordered Nikon D3 and bought Nikon D40 kit

Dear friends, Many thanks for writing and giving professional suggestions. After thinking a lot I ordered Nikon D3, which I will hope to get by mid December. But if Canon comes up with the replacement of full frame 5D with specifications similar with Nikon 3D or even better at competitive price, I can even cancel my order. I decided completely to switch to full frame. As per today I see Nikon D3 as best full frame camera in the market.Yesterday I bought Nikon D40 kit, after reading review on Dpreview.com by Phil Askey. I am really amazed by the quality and light weight yet having all professional charactersticks required for a DSLR. I really enjoyed past two days with this camera. Its fast, light and functional. I am impressed by the high ISO performance as compared to my D200 (stolen). I have posted a 800 ISO shot today. You can check it here: <a href="http://www.trekearth.com/viewphotos.php?l=3&p=769113" >D40 shot</a>