Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-31-2007, 06:52 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Canon 40D, Canon 5D or wait for Nikon D300....

I could not see your site, still in the works maybe. I think you have a lot of diversity in your gallery, funnily many of your close-up portraits are converted in B&W. Even more diversity, but at the same time, you may be still at a "moldable" point as to where your photography is going, which makes it worth to really consider any great camera out there, the point I was making with the M8.

I can't afford it, but if I could, definitely, the size of the LEICA would fit me better. As I grow into the craft, I will also be less interested in close-ups, that are nice, but I do not think they say too much, most of the time, niether about the photographer or the subject, and that's the type of photography (live, not studio) that shows and needs the least improvement over the years. A cheapie 4 or 5 or 600D in the bottom of the bag will suffice for that.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:52 PM
TE Senior Member

Hello Francis,
Thats a very valuable suggestion. I think I will better wait for next FF Canon, replacement of 5D. My budget is around 5000-6000 USD. I really wanted to go Full frame now. Nikon D3 is an outstanding camera but at the price of around 5000 USD. I think Canon next replacement for 5D is gonna be a killer camera for Nikon D3. I will better wait and watch. By the time I will use my Sony R1. Its lying somewhere, I have to find it out:-))
Thanks a lot for writing
Regards
Vivek
Old 10-31-2007, 10:56 PM
TE Junior Member

Vivek, if you've (a) already got Nikon lenses and (b) have a budget of $5-6,000 then for heaven's sake wait for the Nikon D3. You would kick yourself if it turned out to be the best available and you'd bought something else.

Forget all the flowery language about what Canon is good for and what Nikon is good for; cameras are but tools and YOU are the key ingredient in the equation, not some highly specified piece of plastic, metal and glass.

If the D3 isn't as good as the competition, you have a choice to make - but all the signs are that the Nikon is going to take an awful lot of beating.

Paul.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:07 AM
TE Expert

'cameras are but tools and YOU are the key ingredient in the equation, not some highly specified piece of plastic, metal and glass. "

Allow me to use this smart phrase in my intro, Paul...
Your name will be mentioned in there, as an author...

------------------------------------

Something evil halloween ghoul is whispering in my ear that that those 643262 (so far) photos displayed on TE - were idiotically posted by their authors - without even knowing that the Nikon D300 or Canon 5D II is coming soon!!!!

Now, what...?

George...(desperate case)
Old 11-01-2007, 06:08 AM
TE Expert

Hang in there, GEORGE!
Don't do anything RASH, man!
By the way, if you want to get me started on those 643,262 posted so far, I might be tempted to say (uncharitably) that the vast majority of them couldn't be saved no matter what camera was used ;o))) Beyond help...
Old 11-01-2007, 12:31 PM
TE Expert

I say go for the 5D. Even when the 5d Mk II comes out. I wouldnt buy a crop body anymore with a FF available. It kills your lens options if you like wide angles. I dont agree about not buying the 5D because its 2 years old. Its still a damn good camera, if you buy it brand new its a brand new camera. Yes, the MkII may have some better options but will they be enough to justify the price difference? When it comes out the 5D price will drop like crazy.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:44 PM
TE Expert

Can I jump in again, folks, I'm lonely! Okay, Rafal - I dont dispute your about the benefits of FF, and the 5D is in some ways an outstanding cam but the AF is sh@t - a major disappointment, sorry but there it is. They stuffed a superduper chip in a 20d body on steroids, man, sans flash. Now the 40D I'm using now has the best, most ferocious AF I've ever used. Ever. And that makes a huge difference - IQ is also very, very high - near 5D. Almost. I sincerely advise our friend to wait a bit for the 5D II (whatever it's called) to come out soon because it will be a much better handling cam in just about every days AND you'll still have FF and the excellent chip. the price may also surprise us all because canon is goig to have to dig deep to compete against some amazing offerings from Nkon 0 they're on the defensive now, so I predict a bewlo $2000 price new for the new 5D II.

Hey, why don't you upload some more, man. We miss you...
Old 11-01-2007, 01:23 PM
TE Expert

Agree on the new 5D review... and yes... price expected to be under 2000usd
I also agree on the 40D review but if i were in the position of buying i would hold my horses until the new 5D jump into market!

I know that waiting can be painfull though ... i just couldn't hold myself and bought a new cam for me in the last days :P

Rafal
The cropped factor doesn't kill your wide open shots... you just have to find yourself the correct lens. I now own a FF body with 17-40L to go with it ... but i had a 350D with a 10-22 that was exactly the same POV.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:50 PM
TE Expert

yes it does. with a FF you have many options. The 24-105 and 24-70 for a sane wide angle and nice longer reach. The 16-35 and 17-40 for a bit wider. You can get proper primes like the 24 1.4L....with a crop all you have is the 10-22 which is not even close to any of the above zooms or the good primes. None of the above zooms are worth the money they cost when putting on a crop, IMO.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:09 PM
TE Junior Member

Hey, George - feel free to use it as you wish. It's only my ten-penneth and I'm wrong as often as I'm right. I do passionately believe, though, that the photographer is 90% + of the picture-taking process.

I will concede that some cameras offer more functionality / creative control than others. However, I also believe that even with all the technical wizardry in the world and the most expensive digital cameras and lenses;

(a) Ansel Adams' (and the other truly great photographers') photos wouldn't be better than taken with the cameras they used and...

(b) I couldn't get close to the photos taken by the likes of Cartier-Bresson and Lartigue (and they used cameras which, by today's standards) were basic indeed.

I'd still back the quality of images that can be got from my Mamiya 7 and Nikon F3 against my D70, D200 or S3Pro. Yes, the digital cameras I have are good quality, great fun to use, provide a 90% solution and comparatively instant gratification as a trade-off to the best possible quality - but I think it will be a little while until I give film up - or it gives me up!!

Best wishes,

Paul.