Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-30-2007, 06:26 AM
TE Expert

Default To Adam: a suggestion concerning "series" on TE

As much as we all enjoy individual pictures and postings, some of us are keen to explore the "series" format where we would have the chance to tell a story in some depth. Now I'm just throwing out the idea, and do not mean this as a criticism, but could something like that be incorporated into the existing TE framework? Is that something you might consider?
One way to look at this is that under the current system, in spite of its many virtues, whenever we attempt some kind of a continuous narrative from day to day with "linked" pictures, it's very hard to achieve any kind of impact with the community because everything is geared to "today's flavor". Still in the context of learning about culture through photography, perhaps this more extended capability (or option) could have merit.
My 02 cents,
Francis
Old 08-30-2007, 07:09 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: To Adam: a suggestion concerning "series" on TE

Francis,

I think the key is not to care about the reception and just post:) TE just isnt designed for series, in my opinion.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:10 AM
TE Senior Member

Just like Rafal said, TE is just not designed for series. TE is based on a daily posting system and, to me, to implement series functionalities that would mean that you would have to give the viewers access to the photos only when the series was completed. I mean, there's no point in keep posting and showing a photo a day to present a series. Nobody will look at it as a complete group and it would be nonsense to critique the single as a single and not as part of the collection. And then we would need a place to critique the collection as a whole...
Am not saying that a thing like this couldn't be implemented. Count me in the group that would love to see series being posted at this wonderful site. I am just saying that the posting method here is not suitable for a series presentation. Even if you are able link the photos in a way (easy to implement) it is the posting method that needs to be changed in order to series to fully make sense.
Stay safe. l.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:27 PM
TE Expert

Through all the requests already seen here in the forums, one must conclude that the management of the site gives priority to quantity above quality, so your request maybe once more in vain, a dream ... you could handle this already with a post of six photos a day linked to each other to TL and the WS, only a few will follow of course, deviating from the main stream, reflections you will find on the main post on TE/TL.
You know that after 2 years member on TE, there is not that much left to learn for yourself but more to learn to others, maybe TE is focussing more the learning ambitions of the so many daily new here, a new challenge then. Reason of the system of TE not likely adepting to a few, other systems or sites gives you more this possibility ....
Old 08-30-2007, 02:46 PM
TE Expert

With all due respect Henk, I look at it differently, and I have a hunch that Adam might agree, you never know - why not expand Trekearth's excellent base to cater for the needs of an eager photojournalistic minority? The idea that Trekearth is but a set of photographic trainng wheels that one soons outgrows or something is too limited. Let's think in borad terms - here is literally room for many constituencies within TE, and there is enough flexibility built into the underlying grid to allow for more "sectors".
As to learning to others, if by that you mean sharing one's knowledge (or giving back in a sense) I am with you entirely.
Let's wait and see...
Old 08-30-2007, 02:49 PM
TE Senior Member

Henk, what you say is not only ridiculous, but insulting to Adam who has worked very hard to make this site what it is. If Adam cared only about quantity and not quality, the upload limit would still be three per day, as it was originally. BTW, if you think that after any amount of time that you have nothing left to learn on this site, you are a fool. Saying you have nothing left to learn is akin to saying that you no longer want to improve your photography. That might be fine for you, but I am sure Francis, nor most others here, feels they want to stagnate in such a way.

As for the original idea; I like it, but I really can't see how it could be incorporated into TE. At this point in TE's life cycle, I think that going to a post every two days would make sense as things move too quickly at one per day. That idea too is fraught (sp?) with issues though; I suspect it could cause many to become active critiquing only on days they upload. Unfortunately, if you want to do a series of shots, I can't see how Adam could twist things to allow for that in a single day without further watering down the site Themes and links within your notes I think are about the best options; of course those are the options we have now.

I believe that TE is what it is and that is a spot for daily uploads. If you want to work within that framework, I think there is no reason why you can't cover a project over the course of a week or two via daily uploads. I think for some that the issue is that some of the needed photos within that project will be poorly received. I guess that poster will just have to live with some not very well received photos knowing that they are posted in support of the entire set.

Anyways Francis, it is a good idea I think; just not one which blends into how TE works.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:33 PM
TE Expert

I do not like Darren that you turn a "there is not that much left" into "nothing" , when there is still a challenge to put the lath higher for yourself and sharing/helping others more with the time.

Francis, tell me what did change thourougly on TE that much the last two years, again a remark turned into an insult by Darren while it is simply a fact ... many regret that there is no movement on TE anymore if you read all the suggestions already made before that even some gave up to repeat again and again, there is nothing wrong in shaking a tree sometimes up.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:44 PM
TE Senior Member

Quoting Darren:
"I think there is no reason why you can't cover a project over the course of a week or two via daily uploads".
I think one can proceed this way: we can create lists, travelogues & themes.
I would rather think that the idea behind a serie is a one-shot upload of the serie and not 1 upload per day. It's true that it is difficult to appreciate a single photo out of its series. A photo that belongs to a serie should be viewed as an 'all'.

I would agree with Darren. With current TE capabilities:
1 - Extend the WS limit posting. Cons: current WS layout is not suitable for serie display
2 - Allow multiple uploads in themes or travelogues: but only one photo per day of the serie can be released or allow a single photo release to share the serie.

Of course like any tools, it only is valuable if it is properly used ...
Old 08-30-2007, 04:16 PM
TE Senior Member

OK, Henk, I misquoted you slightly. I did say nothing when you said not much left. My thoughts don't change one tiny bit though. If you think there is "not much left" for you to learn, you are crippling yourself horribly I will guarantee you that the best shooters in the world still think there is tons to learn. THat is how they got to be the best and how they stay on top. Quibbling over a small bit of semantics doesn't change that at all.

I know the second paragraph was (sort of) directed at Francis, but I will answer anyways. Nothing that much has changed over the past two years at TE. Part of the reason that there is so little change is that the site is successful as it is. When you have something that is working, ie, lots of activity on a web site, you don't make wholesale changes. Now, what works for the masses will not work for all and that is why some (not many in terms of TE membership) regret that there are no changes.

You have made suggestions that have not been taken up by management. Does this mean that management hasn't considered them? Nope, I would bet heavily that they have been considered and Adam has decided they simply do not fit within his vision of TE. The fact that the same suggestion may have been many times does not suggest that the the suggestion isn't considered; it just says that Adam hasn't changed his mind since the last time that was brought up. If you are bringing something up many times and nothing is happening in response, you are doing nothing other than beating a dead horse. I do know for a fact that user suggestions do get considered, as a number that I have made have been implemented into TE. Others I have made haven't been implemented and that is cool too. If I wanted everything to fit into the Darren vision, I would start my own site.

You complain about me insulting you Henk, that is fine. I notice that you didn't make any move to retract the original insult you made towards Adam. Glass houses and all...
Old 08-30-2007, 04:38 PM
TE Expert

sorry Darren where is the insult in mentioning facts as we all know that increasing popularity always involves some kind of quality-loss, still new members come along with sometimes unbiased new views but the more members you got, the less they got noticed often ... quality-loss ... indeed something should be done to preserve quality at the the same tread of the growing popularity in favor of the credibility of TE, which has many cards they still could play.

For now we'll have to do with what we got, hoping for the better most probably for all ...
you see how pleasant it can be to be without any biased word-abuse, don't forget neither that TE exist thanks to the members so some credit giving to them would be very aplaudable, no ?