Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 07-01-2005, 08:10 AM
TE Junior Member

Default not fair!!

why wouldn΄t they talk to you if they had a problem??
but just keep shooting...
:) or come to sao paulo, people loved being photographed here!
elena
Old 07-03-2005, 08:52 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Photography to became a crime?

Peter, that stinks, it really does. I don't know the area you shoot in, but I'm visualizing a suburban/exurban area. Sometimes these kind of low-crime areas are more prone to paranoia due to imagined risks over real ones. And lots of cops with a bit of a Barney Fife mentality. After all, even if you were what they thought, why in the world would they need that many cops and cars? It's just overreaction that proves that they don't really know what they're looking for or what to do if they found it.

Of course, it's often not just a matter of being paranoid, not even in the small towns and burbs. But it's never good to lose sight of the fact that most of us are still normal human beings and a camera is just a camera. A wary parent making sure nothing more was going on, you'd think would have been enough. My sympathies for the crap you went through when common sense went out the window.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:05 PM
TE Expert

just disgusting, look at these f***ed up over valued human right b**ls**ts!
i dont need it thanks.. Is this a police state?..
i feel really sorry for you Peter..

Hey come to India,, be my guest for a while...(i am serious)
you will love here, every day is a photographic heaven..

Keep up the good work Peter, keep shooting, i really like your shots
dont give a damn about it.. because its just very stupid at the same time..
Best wishes.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:44 AM
TE Expert

It's a shame and a sham, what happened to you, Peter. I do not know how it works in Canada, but raising a bit of hell with one's representative in the USA works a little, if you think your own civil rights (of expression) have been curbed.
On the other hand, I think you may talk about a climate that is dangerously winning, with its political correctness. I was really baffled that members, here, hence photographers, were also putting in question who and how other members choose to photograph.
It was only expressed as an opinion, not a censoring, but policing thought can also end up in policing state. This idea that we should ask the names of the subjects we phtograph, ask permission, when so many shots get their values from their candidness, I find this having to do indeed with political correctness as an ideology, more than photography.
We must trust our members to be the judge him/herself, when it is best to ask permission or not. No rules, please!

H
Old 07-07-2005, 12:43 PM
TE Newbie

Peter,

I'm sorry to hear about your run-in with the law.

To avoid this in the future, one idea might be to find college-level amatuers. The athletes are not kids, so you won't have to worry about complaints from parents, and the action is just as good, if not better, than most games you will find in a park.

If you contact the school and explain what you're doing, you might even get lucky and get an event or press pass that will allow you to shoot from other areas. This might only work, however, if you're dealing with smaller schools.

Sean
Old 07-07-2005, 05:22 PM
TE Junior Member

Default For all street photographers on TE

Looks like the discussion was over a long while ago but let me paste this :

<A HREF="http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm">photographer's right</A>

Peter, Sorry for what happened to you. This can happen to anybody but not only to you. This world is becoming strange and alot of people knows that but can't change it...
Old 07-08-2005, 08:42 PM
TE Newbie

Czesc Piotr!
Czasy sa teraz takie , ze niekiedy policja nie wie co ma robic i na co uwazac. Zamniast szukac przestepcow czepiaja sie zwyklych ludzi i szukaja dziury w calym. Na to nie mamy wplywu.
Trzymaj tak dalej jak do tej pory !!!
Pozdrawiam
Michal
Old 07-11-2005, 10:27 AM
TE Expert

If we can't control people with what's in the shops we always have the possibility to control them through the fear of losing what they have bought in the shops and if we can't control them through the fear of losing what they have bought from the shops we can always turn to the fear of what may happen to their children - blow that one out of proportion and you have the state you're experiencing - how far off are we from having to register to take photographs in the street??

Difficult one - paedophiles do take photographs of children - people are scared of this leading to contact and grooming - good citizenship suggests that this should be checked out - such accusations towards innocent people leave sick, angry horrible tastes in the mouth and everyone suspicious.

100% with you though on the way you're feeling -

got to go - best wishes Kev
Old 07-11-2005, 11:10 AM
TE Expert

Default What happened?

When I left North America for Asia about 4 years ago, it wasnt this bad. There wasnt this kind of pervasive atmosphere of paranoia and suspicion. So what happened? Living in Asia has perhaps spoiled me as this is really an extremely phot-friendly place. No one asks any questions, people are not afraid of the camera. So what happened to North American society?
Old 07-15-2005, 01:55 AM
TE Junior Member

I'm really sorry for what happened to you Peter. But now I have the answer why are so many portraits or people photos from the east and why so little from the west. Before I was thinking that the people from the east are much more interesting subjects for us that don't know much about eastern cultures.
Well I live somewhere in the middle and I must try to make some photos first, then I'll tell you my opinion (or experience).

SHOOOOT EM AAAAAALLL!