Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great tyro 2018-10-28 3:47

Hello Gert,

As always, a fascinating and informative note and three delightful photographs to admire! And I can confirm that the pigeon was not there when Mr. Google visited this statue.

It's funny that you found two statues of Pope Sergius which looked quite different from each other but I suppose that is not surprising as this statue we see here would definitely not have been commissioned during his lifetime. It reminds me of my visit to Holyrood Palace in Edinburgh many years ago: the main hall there is bedecked with portraits of pretty much all of the kings of Scotland going back to the eleventh century, but they were painted in the 17th century by Jacob de Wet, a Dutch painter, and rumour has it that he took a random fellow from the streets of Edinburgh as a model and modified the paintings as he went along, churning out one portrait per week. Interestingly, that same artist painted panels in the chapel at Glamis Castle, one panel depicting a portrait of Christ, and when he was denied what he believed was an adequate payment for his work, he returned and adorned Christ with a broad rimmed soft hat, more suited to the likes of Clint Eastwood.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings. Three well taken and appealing photographs and you were certainly blessed by the fact that the pigeon decided not to fly off before you captured your main image. Your other statue is excellent too and, although the face might not be the same, the splendid hat is. But my favourite must be your busy street scene with the rather fine graffiti on those road blocks dominating the foreground.

Excellent!

Kind Regards,

John.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:11 PM
TE Expert

Default To tyro: Thank you John

Hello John,
Thank you so much for your kind and amusing comments. I am not sure that both statues are supposed to show Pope Sergius, especially not since they look so different. I mean, surely they must have known what those men looked like, even if the statues were made hundreds of years later, maybe even more than a thousand years. I found two portraits of Sergius I on the net, but strangely there were no similarities at all between them, and none of them looked like any of these statues. I get so confused.
I wish you a nice week,
Gert